1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebonized tailpieces???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SRT80, Oct 21, 2010.

1. As posted in another thread, I just picked up a Holbein 50/2 used on craigslist. It has the "ebonized" board. It looks like a nice reddish rosewood under the stain. The black has worn off around the middle of board.

Wondering how much of a job it would be to strip the rest of this finish off? When I take my bass in to get new strings, I'm gonna ask about that then so no big deal. I know they say ebony is better, but I prefer the look of rosewood. Main reason why I was wanting a Engelhardt EM-1. Just like the rosewood board and tailpiece.

My main concern is the tailpiece. Has anyone stripped the stain from their tailpieces on any brand bass? Are these tailpieces usually rosewood too, stained or are they maybe a plain maple tailpiece? I doubt it's a ebony tailpiece, but I can't say?

Is it a option to maybe find a plain tailpiece and stain it to try and get a close match the rosewood board...if the black stain can be removed?

Steve

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    A lot of ebonized tailpieces are maple or some other white wood.

3. Yea, I just read that on another site as well. So, once I find out if my board can be stripped. I think I will try and hunt for a new tailpiece.

Steve

4. Maxvla

Maxvla

Nov 1, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma Strings
    Most ebonized pieces are black stained and/or thickly varnished pearwood.