1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebonizer under epoxy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Feral Feline, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Did a precursory search of TB and browsed this forums FAQ section and didn't see what I'm after, but please feel free to direct me to that which I couldn't find myself...

I want to ebonize a rosewood FB and then epoxy over it for a fretless mod project I hope to undertake.

Any bubbling, peeling, clouding or other problems with doing this?

2. If ebonizer is a sort of a dye, I see no problems epoxying the fingerboard.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
  4. Internet was down for a few days, so apologies for the late thanks.

By ebonizer I was referring to the stains or dyes that luthiers use to even out a streaky ebony or in the case of some lowend doublebass manufacturers, pass off other fingerboard woods as ebony – black liquid gold like this.

[​IMG]

Just ordered a bass from Donovan at Fretspot, so the project is going ahead. :hyper:

However, Stewmac can't ship the dye out of the US. :crying:

Frankly, I prefer some streaks in my ebony as in the before pic...

ts0046e.jpg
    ----- Before --------------- After ------

...but for this project bass, I want to turn its rosewood board black as that is the overriding theme. :ninja: