Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebonizing Rust Stain, Anybody tried this.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Mar 20, 2005.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I want to make a sort of goth looking fretless bass and decided to stain the maple fretboard and neck the color a silvery grey. Well, I went to Lowes and they have waterbase stains and will mix it for you but only sell in a large quart size which is around 10.00. I will never need this much so I went looking on the net and found a natural ebonizing method using rust from metal and vinegar. This is supposed to turn light wood grey and oak, rosewood, walnut, an ebony black. Here is the link: http://www.joewoodworker.com/ruststain.htm
    Anybody try this and does it work? I just set aside my bowl of wet steel wool waiting for rust to form in a few days. I must be crazy, but grey stain is a hard thing to find and i'm trying this.

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    That makes a cool stain (and a multitasker, by extension - each of those items can be used for other things). Go for it. Farmers have been painting their barns with rust/skim milk paint for hundreds of years (and some of those barns are still standing; go to Wisconsin, and you'll find them in every county except for about three), so there's no harming the wood, really.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Sooo thats what color I was referring to...not goth grey, but Farmer's Grey...Alright!