Ebonizing Rust Stain, Anybody tried this.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Mar 20, 2005.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I want to make a sort of goth looking fretless bass and decided to stain the maple fretboard and neck the color a silvery grey. Well, I went to Lowes and they have waterbase stains and will mix it for you but only sell in a large quart size which is around 10.00. I will never need this much so I went looking on the net and found a natural ebonizing method using rust from metal and vinegar. This is supposed to turn light wood grey and oak, rosewood, walnut, an ebony black. Here is the link: http://www.joewoodworker.com/ruststain.htm
    Anybody try this and does it work? I just set aside my bowl of wet steel wool waiting for rust to form in a few days. I must be crazy, but grey stain is a hard thing to find and i'm trying this.

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    That makes a cool stain (and a multitasker, by extension - each of those items can be used for other things). Go for it. Farmers have been painting their barns with rust/skim milk paint for hundreds of years (and some of those barns are still standing; go to Wisconsin, and you'll find them in every county except for about three), so there's no harming the wood, really.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Sooo thats what color I was referring to...not goth grey, but Farmer's Grey...Alright!