1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebonol Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prbass, Sep 14, 2008.

1. prbass

prbass

May 1, 2008
    McGregor, TX
    Does anybody knows if this type of fingerboards actually sounds good. I saw the Squier fretless for 279.00 but the fingerboard is this material (Ebonol). I already have 2 great fretted basses (Lakland, G&L) but wanted to learn how to play fretless and this seems like a good start. Just wondering if this would be a smart move for somebody that is starting with the fretless. Is it worth it or not?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

Thanks

2. I think it's perfect for starting out on fretless, I bought one myself. As to how much the ebonol affect the tone, well, it doesn't sound like the MIM fretless jazz I had purchased, and later returned, before. Not worst or better, just very different; but how much of that has to do with the ebonol fingerboard, as opposed to different pick-up, body material, strings and such, I wouldn't know.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Ebonol is just synthetic ebony made from melted tires or some such IIRC

A lot on TB like the Squier VM Fretless though, so hey, you might too.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Both my fretless basses have Ebonol fignerboards and they both sound great. Particularly my Hohner, but the Squier VM sounds cool as well!

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The Squier VM basses are incredible for the money!
    I love them!!

6. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    that squire jaco bass with the ebanol fingerboard is AMAZING. it sounds absolutely phenominal for that price.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Rumor has it, it's combination of layers of paper and phenolic resin thermoset under high pressure. I really like how it feels as a fingerboard.

8. I bought the Squier FVM Fretless just so I could get into fretless w/o having to have to fork out alot of money. I installed Bartolini 9J1 pups on it and it really zings, sounds great. Ebonol is a good surface for fretless, it's holds up pretty well, I use roundwound strings on mine. I've heard people say that the rounds will dig into the Ebonol, but it's nothing to make an issue, IMO. I think the Squier FVM is the best fretless for under $300.;)

9. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I love my VMJ fretless, the neck is very fast and seems to hold up to my daily playing with round wounds. The tone is different than ebony, it seems a little zingier to my ears. It might not be for everybody, but I love the sound I get with it. My VMJ has little indentions where the frets should be, so be warned the neck is not perfect. It makes the buzz in a couple of places. The mwah is great if that is what you are looking for. Just my two cents.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Great bass, and I love the sound of that phelonic board with a set of thomastics, mwahh's like crazy! :)

11. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Plastic fingerboards sound great, and on fretless they're pretty exciting. They wear fairly well, but not like metal frets. Soon enough, roundwound strings will start digging little grooves in the plastic, which are visible but don't affect the sound until they get quite deep. At which point, it's not hard to fill them in with more plastic.

12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Some high end basses, like the Ibanez Gary Willis GWB1005, use ebonol instead of Ebony.
    That's what Gary's using now.
    So it's not just for cheapies...

13. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I had a Semi Hollow Dean with a fretless Ebonol fingerboard and it was not bad at all but I much prefer the look, feel and tone of real Ebony. Also, my bass tech found that with the Ebonol it was very difficult to radius the fingerboard edges and it gave off a nasty smell when sanded. I do however feel that it has its place as a usable and lower cost alternative to the real thing.

George

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure that Ebonol is supposed to be a cheap, synthetic Ebony...regardless of whether or not they have some similarities.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Seems to me more like a low cost alternatie to an epoxied board than a raw ebony one.

An alternative that happens to sound and feel great, fretted or fretless.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Indeed! I am much a fan of it now that I've seen it produce excellent results in two of my basses. However, I still prefer the phenolic board that my Status had it in. I guess I'll leave that longing until I get my next Status.

17. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Have a fretted 5 string Carvin that has this type of fretboard. It is resistant to roto fret rashing and that is a advantage. Strangely dark in color as if they absorb light and don't reflect.

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I was in pretty much the same situation with two great fretted basses (Lakland & Ibanez) and wanted to cheaply try fretless. I got a steal at $219 on a VM fretless and love it. I replaced the stock bridge with a slightly better one with more mass. The neck is super-nice and it's really an easy transition from a fretted bass. The Squier has really good punch and tone to it as well. Now the fretted basses aren't getting a lot of time. Best $219 bucks I've spent.:bassist:

19. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    The Squier VM's are great. Excellent bang for the buck, and the ebonol fretboard looks and feels awesome. Very shiny! ;) I'm tempted to buy one just for the sake of having a fretless, but I'm saving up for a fretted Jazz. One day I will have one. :smug:

20. I've played a couple with ebonol fingerboards. They all had a good sound. It's nice to mix things up. Phenolic polymers have great life spans.

As far as is it worth it??? Depends on you really. Locally I've spotted an older made in the USA Peavy Foundation fretlined with dual twin jazz P/Us, looks great other than one nick in the paint. Action was low, fingerboard was in great shape. Only a couple marks from the new RWs they threw on it. The pawn shop is asking $200 for very lightly used bass. If it is still there I may make an offer, think I could get $150 out the door.

Just when ever I want to try something new. I look for someone elses old. There might be a local "gold mine" of gear in a pawn shop near you. Worth checking out if you haven't. Usually these guys know nothing about bass. So it's all under or overpriced, depending where or what they use to value it.