Ebonol Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saint Michael, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Does anyone own or have played a fretless bass with an ebonol fingerboard. Whats the story on those? I'm contemplating getting one and was interested in how they compare all around with the wood boards. The bass I was considering was the new Ken Smith KSD fretless. The price seemed to be a good deal to me. I'm just a beginner but I decided to switch to fretless real early. Based on the pros and cons of wood vs ebonol (synthetic) boards, would it be worth it for me to just spend more money on a custom fretless? I'd appreciate any comments, advice, or suggestions.
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I don't own one, but my bass teacher owns a 5 Fretless Ebonol Pedulla. It is sweeeeeeeeeeet! Ebonol is my favorite fretless material. I've heard steel can be awesome too. Gard called the 6-Fretless Ebonol Pedulla on his site, "one of the best fretless basses on the market." And basscentral.com is no weenie site. Definatly go for ebonol!
  3. thanks for the advice! If you don't mind, what makes ebonol so sweet?
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Only fretless I'm familiar with that has an ebinol board is the Dean Rhapsody HBF (hollowbody fretless). Check reviews on Harmony-Central and the Bass Gear Review Archive, someone's bound to comment on the board.
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Also check the reviews for the Cort Curbow fretless. I have one and its fingerboard doesn't detract from the bass's sound, I just suck at fretless...
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    With a fretless fingerboard, ebony is popular because it is a VERY hard, dense wood. Softer woods wear much more quickly and have sort of a mushy tone.

However, real ebony with grain qualities needed to make a suitable fingerboard is becoming increasingly difficult to find and thus very costly. In fact, I believe that ebony is an endangered species.

So, ebonal is a great alternative. Basically, makers are combining wood and very durable hardening resins and exposing them to a great amount of pressure to compress the wood and impregnate the fibers with the resins. The process creates a very hard yet workable material.

Different makers call it different things. Moses uses "Diamondwood," which is the same idea.

I know there have been discussion strings on the DB side asking some of the resident luthiers what material they would consider for fingerboards in the event that appropriate ebony becomes unavailable. Most have suggested that the composite wood materials would be their first choice.