Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebony Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Babs, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    What does everybody think about Ebony Fingerboards? How they sound? How they feel? How they crack when you give them a truss rod adjustment? anything??

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I play upright as well as electric so I have grown to really like ebony boards, especially for fretless basses.

Most companies do NOT offer ebony (Fender and Music Man for example) while others (Carvin) use it on everything. As a result, most of my electrics have rosewood boards because that's what they came with.

I think it adds some of the brightness of a maple board but is warmer (best of both worlds!) and has a better feel under your fingers.

I'll also admit I like the way they look.

3. My recently-acquired Carl Thompson has an ebony board. I like it, I suppose. It looks and feels a little nicer than rosewood (although since the bass is fretted I don't really "feel" it.) The bass sounds great.. don't know how much of that has to do with the ebony.
    Now, what's this about an ebony fingerboard cracking when you adjust the truss rod?? I just adjusted the CT's truss rod the other night and heard no cracks! What's the deal?

4. Warmoth and Stewart Macdonald fretless necks come with ebony fretboards and they are great! I've always loved the totally black look and without fretmarkers they are stunning. Some older Gibsons had ebony necks (I think) but a lot of the 80's stuff was dyed rosewood. Ebony is just as strong and long lasting as any other neck material.

5. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    I am reffering to the neck cracking, when you give it an adjustment and then you bend it to help it, and I have heard necks make a huge noise, it is pretty cool. Most of the time it only happens the first and second time, so if you are lucky to hear it is pretty sweet.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Hy Hohner fretless has an ebony fretboard. Besides being better resistant to wear...it also looks great with the black body and has a classic fretless tone.
    And....I haven't a clue about the neck "cracking" when it is adjusted. Mine certainly never has....

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm still waiting to receive my first ebony 'board. I'm also still waiting to take a leak. December seems like such a long way off, except when I think of it in terms of shopping days left until Christmas.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Babs I believe that crack that you hear is probably the truss rod busting. Yes you are lucky to hear that sound. Each bass usually only does it once.

That bend part may not be a good idea. I definitely suggest not doing it to someone elses bass.

Pkr2

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The older Yamaha TRB6Ps have an ebony board and I really liked it for this. Very nice neck to play.

I must agree that I've never heard a "crack" when adjusting a truss rod and never want to. All the advice I have ever read about adjusting the truss rod suggests that you only do this a very small amount at a time - that is, a quarter turn at most. Then allow the neck to settle - possibly overnight and see if it needs further adjustment. And then another quarter turn if necessary etc. Anything elss is just reckless to me and most basses with ebony boards are goin gto be fairly expensive, so I would always advise erring on the side of caution.

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    December? Holy cow, Munji. I have to go like every 20 minutes. You da man.

I really like the way ebony looks, but I'm not convinced that on a fretted bass it makes any real difference in the tone (then again, I don't know d!ck). And mine has never "cracked." But since it's a neck-thru, if it did I would probably soil myself.

11. Munji.. do NOT wait 'till Christmas to take a leak! I implore you. You will seriously damage your kidneys.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As you may recall, I took an oath. I am a man of my word. MY WORD!

13. jim-bob

jim-bob

Sep 2, 2000
    I bought the Carvin 4 string fretless kit. I was a real gas assembling it, and it is my first bass with ebony (as well as fretless). I love it and bring it everytime I play along with my p-bass.