1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebony fingerboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 14, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, I've tried twice to record with ebony fingerboarded basses, and they've both sounded like dog vomit! Live, they kill! :confused: Is ebony not a good recording wood, and does anyone have any positive experiences recording with ebony? These weren't exactly "home studios", or lowend basses. I'm talking major studios and name engineers. I've played about 4 ebony boarded basses live, and they ruled! What gives?

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Maybe they were crappy basses? It wasn't due to the fingerboard, that much you can be sure of.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    They were both hi end, and great basses, but I see what you're saying.

4. maybe your engineer doesn't know how to dial a good bass tone?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Ohhhh, I wouldn't say that! Both guys have diamond (10,000,000), platimun (1,000,000), and gold (5000,000) plaques, Grammys, AMA's, 1 Oscar, and about 6 positive BP Mag reviews. I think they can dail in a decent bass tone. It realistically could've been a couple of odd basses.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Woodchuck,it's not the Ebony,you have a copy of my CD and you said you dig the tone of that Bass,well it's fretless with a Gaboon Ebony fb.and on my Instructional CD that's another fretless with a Gaboon Ebony fb.I love the growl and punchiness of a Gaboon Ebony fb.I'm not to fond of macassar Ebony it's not as bright and it lacks that strong pronounced growl that I like.sometimes a Bass will not sound good on a recording because of the wood combination,bad gluing,etc.I personally prefer Maple or Gaboon Ebony fb's

7. if it's one thing I have learned as a musician, its that moving units off the shelves has almost nothing to do with talent. Engineer, or musician. Its a corporate thing. EG B Spears, Nelly, etc.
    IMHO ebony is the only choice for fretboard wood.
    be specific, what was so canine and vomitty about the tone? too much finger noise? too much low mid? Not enough fundemental?
    My ebony boarded bass has a weird direct tone, but sounds godlike coming out of an amp and a speaker. Did your engineer guys have "its a bass so you DI it"-disease?

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Good point! Your bass sounds great! I wonder what kind of ebony I have.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

I've heard plenty of recordings of people I KNOW use Ebony fretboards (not only bass) taht sound killer.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Operator error.

:bag:

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

are you sure it's not rosewood(sometimes rosewood can have a dullness to it and that's not a bad thing for some players)?

what type of sound were you going for?

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Swords at dawn!

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Pistols at noon?

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Spider monkeys at suppertime!

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Okay, but only if it's after dinner.

16. yeah, I have instruments I wiash were ebony fretted. Heck I am considering getting one of those solid Ebony necks from warmoth just for fun. I generally abhor rosewood. I mean, in catalogs and such why does it always say featuring a rosewood feretboard? Rosewood is the default wood of pretty much everything (even if its a called something else as in pernambuco the wood they use for bass bows).
    anyway, I would suspect strings or an amp before I would fault an intrument because of ebony being used in its construction.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

"Spider monkeys at suppertime!"
    (Sorry about that.)

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Be prepared for some SERIOUS neck dive...

Ebony is one of the heavier woods out there...even heavier than wenge.

19. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I have an ebony Fb bass that sounds great live and recorded (see avatar :D ).

Are there any other features that are exclusive and common to the basses mentioned?

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I have a custom Ergo 4 string Bass and the entire neck is one piece Ebony and it balances well and there's no neck dive at all(the headstock is small).