ebony fretboard care

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyle, Dec 2, 2004.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    what do you guys put on your ebony boards? (maintness wise) Ive heard of of lemon oil or juice or at least something to do with lemons :smug: but your input would be great.
  2. Rose oil, at least I think that's what it is.
  3. I don't have ebony, but on my rosewood fingerboards I use lemon oil.

4. I can't find lemon oil out here. Believe me, I've looked. What else can I use.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Get some Dr Duck's Axwax:

I've used this for years - an excellent conditioner and cleaner for all fingerboard woods. Also great for your entire instrument - a tiny amount on a cloth works like armor-all.

There are other things out there that can work well too, but I find this stuff inexpensive, readily available and a bottle lasts a long time.
  6. An Ebony Fretboard shouldn't really need any oil, if it hasn't been exposed to extreme conditions and is very dry. Ebony is self-lubricant, very smooth naturally, with no need for a finish on top.

Dirt on the board can be scraped off with a credit card, or Scotch Brite Ultra-Fine.
  7. will these products work on rosewood and purpleheart, as well?

I have rosewood and ebony fretted basses and guitars and a purpleheart fretless bass
  8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Alembic recommends using lemon oil on their ebony fretboards.....
  9. Thanks, I'll check that out. As far as the sound of purpleheart fingerboard on a fretless bass. Well, it's strung with DR Black Beauty wound rounds and is holding up well (no major wear issues at all). And the sound is MWAHHHHHHHH - MWAH (down an octave :D )....nice tone, not as bright as ebony a little darker, richer.

In coffee terms.
    Ebony is sort of a Medium Roast (full bodied) and purpleheart is more of a Dark Roast.
  10. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    It's a little off topic :smug:, but, you might want to try starbucks again. I thought I hated their coffee but then I found out I just hate all of their "Bold" (dark) roasts (which they give you unless you explicitly ask for light), and I normally quite like dark roasts, their "Mild" (light) roasts are delicious.
  11. wayyyy of the subject. But yes, that's true. Starbucks over-roasts their bean a bit. However, the mild stuff is quite nice.