Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebony or Ebony or Ebony ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tumbao, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Macassar, Indian or African Gaboon?
    I just want to get the most dense and black Ebony board... Which one?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That would be Gaboon Ebony it is the most durable, brightest,and darkest of the three mentioned and Gaboon is the only Ebony I prefer on my Basses(other than Maple)

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Thanks, JAUQO III-X. Can you post a picture of one of your basses with this board wood?

4. Wow, it's the brightest AND the darkest. :D (I know what you meant!)

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This doesn't matter all that much, actually!:eek:
    The issue is, form where in the trunk your plank is taken.

The outer portion of the trunk has these browninsh streaks, that we tend to look at as Macassar. They may as well be taken from a Gaboon...
    Further to the center, the wood goes blacker. And harder. More Gaboon in the center, if you get:rolleyes:

This is just one other example of how different planks of the same spieces will act differently from eachother, while different planks from different spieces will act similar.

For an ebony fingerboard, I would look for the most conform black piece there is. These dark, dense, conform properties are those that yield the famous ebony tone and feel.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    For me Macassar and Indian are very close in tone as Rosewood.just not durable or brite enough for me.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey!Tumbao check you PM.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I just found out that some black ebony is sold as Gaboon, but is grown as Macassar, and the other way around!
    If it's black centerwood, it's called Gaboon, and itf it has brownish streaks it's called Macassar.

A free market is not always good....

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    wether it is Macassar(yes it has brown streaks)it still is not as durable or bright in tone as Gaboon(the darkest of Ebony)Macassar is very close to Rosewood just a little harder,and not that much brighter in tone.