Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebony pickup covers - post pics!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 24, 2003.

1. I'm trying to decide wether I want regular black Bartolini soap bars or ebony covered ones in my Read Custom.

Please post some pics of basses with ebony pickup covers so I can get a better feel for what they look like. :)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can Jack order ones without the casings already epoxied on?

3. You know, I have no idea. How exactly do pickup covers work?

4. That is a beautiful top - do you have a pic of the whole bass by any chance? :)

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    you can check out more pics of mike's instrument and other great basses with ebony (and other woods) pickup covers at http://nordstrandguitars.com/gallery.htm

by the way, it's really cool you're getting a bass built by jack. i'm getting his preamp and dealing with him has been great. he's a nice guy!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had this issue when I chose Bart soapbars for my custom. Bartolini epoxies their pickup covers on before shipment, so unless can get them to ship a set without the covers already attached, then you may not be able to get wood pup covers. More about this at this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86515&highlight=pickup

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here's mine!:) Complete with an ebony ramp between the pickups.

[​IMG]

8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    one more:

[​IMG]

Ok,I confess...those aren't really ebony. They are epowy casted, gaboon ebony looking ;)

A ebony master was made to and used to create a latex mold. The resulting casted epoxy has the ebony grain on it.

Some owners even didn't notice this wasn't wood :D

Peace, JP

9. Ah, that's helpful. You mention something about loss of sound quality in that thread. I thought wood covers didn't affect the sound? I've never played one, so I have no idea. What's your experience regarding that issue?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pickups like Aeros that are commonly seen with wood covers don't come like the Bartolinis; the pickup has no cover initially and they build a wood cover for it. Barts have the black plastic cover attached at the factory. My reply about not wanting to lose sound quality was a response to FBB's Matt Schmill saying that you'd probably lose output if you built a wood cover over the Bartolini cover. As you probably would have to get the Barts with the black covers already attached, that would be one of the few ways to have a wood cover, and I'd rather not risk losing output for them.

11. Well, I'm pretty sure Jack would be making the covers himself, cause he offered to use leftover pieces from my top wood or fretboard wood. So I take it he couldn't replace the original outer casing, but would have to build on top of it?

EDIT: Then again, he already did the routing - wouldn't he have to change that, if the pickup dimensions increased?

12. I believe the output loss was due to the fact that they (the pickups) would have to be placed further away from the strings (deeper into the bass?) because of the height of what would effectively be 2 pickup covers (the epoxy one and the wood cover).

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, if he already did the routing, then the pickup size is already defined (unless he routed again). I'd ask him specifically what his plans are, especially if he plans on putting wood covers over the Barts. I'd stick with the black plastic Bart covers myself; I love wooden covers, but ebony ones have never impressed me in the slightest as even I wouldn't be able to tell on my own bass that they're wood instead of plastic from more than a foot away.

15. Sweet. That is an awesome looking bass.

Geoff

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

If you could only hear it :bassist:

Jens Ritter builds some wonderful instruments.

17. I'd love to try one, but alas... they are all too far away.:bawl:

Maybe it is for the better :D.

Geoff