Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebony Prices

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zon Bass, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am looking for some ebony to make a fingerboard, and I am pretty sure that I am being ripped off. Does 120 dollars per board foot sound really high or is it just me. I am looking for gaboon, and so far that is the only stuff big enough to use. I could only get 2 necks out of it since it is an inch thick, but very very rough. I have found a much better price, but the pieces are too small. I have also found some macassar for only 16$ a board foot that is already planed to 1/4. Is the color the only difference between these woods, or should I hold out until I can find some gaboon?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    one of the places where i am sourcing my lumber is selling gaboon for about $75 a board foot. this place also sells fingerboard blanks - you can order them dimensionally. Gaboon is under $40 for a wide board. www.exoticwoods.com check it out

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Good information in this thread. Be sure to work your way down to Ken Smith's answer.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ken is the man with the plan !

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    $120 is very high. How wide do you need it?

I get ebony for $50-75 a board foot. Be sure that the $16/bf macassar is actually macassar, or that it is not per square foot. The latter would make sense from a price standpoint. Macassar is usually 60-75 a board foot.

If I were you, and I could not find ebony for a reasonable price locally, I would check vikwood.com (if you need reasonable sized fingerboards), then I would check with Larry at gallery hardwoods, then I would check with Steve at Righeous Hardwoods (which is always a trip), and finally I would check with anexotichardwoods.com