Ebony Prices

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zon Bass, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am looking for some ebony to make a fingerboard, and I am pretty sure that I am being ripped off. Does 120 dollars per board foot sound really high or is it just me. I am looking for gaboon, and so far that is the only stuff big enough to use. I could only get 2 necks out of it since it is an inch thick, but very very rough. I have found a much better price, but the pieces are too small. I have also found some macassar for only 16$ a board foot that is already planed to 1/4. Is the color the only difference between these woods, or should I hold out until I can find some gaboon?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    one of the places where i am sourcing my lumber is selling gaboon for about $75 a board foot. this place also sells fingerboard blanks - you can order them dimensionally. Gaboon is under $40 for a wide board. www.exoticwoods.com check it out

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Good information in this thread. Be sure to work your way down to Ken Smith's answer.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ken is the man with the plan !

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    $120 is very high. How wide do you need it?

I get ebony for $50-75 a board foot. Be sure that the $16/bf macassar is actually macassar, or that it is not per square foot. The latter would make sense from a price standpoint. Macassar is usually 60-75 a board foot.

If I were you, and I could not find ebony for a reasonable price locally, I would check vikwood.com (if you need reasonable sized fingerboards), then I would check with Larry at gallery hardwoods, then I would check with Steve at Righeous Hardwoods (which is always a trip), and finally I would check with anexotichardwoods.com