ebony thumbrest

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fresnorich, Sep 1, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Here's a pic of a thumbrest I made from an ebony baby-grand piano key:
    http://usera.imagecave.com/fresnorich/Stingrelicproject/131-3154_IMG.JPG

I cut it in half lengthwise, so that it's the same height as the single-coil pickup on my Sting signature bass. It's nicely tapered and rounded off on the end and feels much better than the cheap plastic Fender thumbrest I tried first. I found the Fender thumbrest to be WAY to high. Shouldn't a thumbrest always be about the same height as the pickup?

I also like that it's longer than the standard and it doesn't make a cheap, hollow plastic sounding "click" when I tap it with my finger. Finally, it's evenly spaced from the strings, so it's kind of like resting your thumb on the B string of a 5 string bass. I'm very happy with the results and I no longer have to worry about messing up the pickup by using it as a thumbrest.

2. The pic doesn't seem to work... but it's a good idea!

3. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Please, try again. I think I fixed it. And thanks!

4. Pretty nice!

5. Way to go Fresno!!

It's cool to break new ground isn't it? But I'm warning you, this will get into your blood :help:

6. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Good idea. I have a few ebony keys and I'm going to make me some thunbrests. They're pretty scratched up so I'll have to smooth them up with sandpaper. What's a good finish for the ebony? Thanks for the help.

7. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks! I didn't use any finish on the ebony key. I didn't really touch the exposed surfaces (the top sides). I just sanded the underside (where I made the cut) until it was smooth and flat. The ebony is a hard wood, so you have to use a fine tooth, hardwood blade and it takes a good bit of sanding.

Post some pics when you are done. I'd like to see the finished project.