Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebony thumbrest

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fresnorich, Sep 1, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Here's a pic of a thumbrest I made from an ebony baby-grand piano key:
    http://usera.imagecave.com/fresnorich/Stingrelicproject/131-3154_IMG.JPG

I cut it in half lengthwise, so that it's the same height as the single-coil pickup on my Sting signature bass. It's nicely tapered and rounded off on the end and feels much better than the cheap plastic Fender thumbrest I tried first. I found the Fender thumbrest to be WAY to high. Shouldn't a thumbrest always be about the same height as the pickup?

I also like that it's longer than the standard and it doesn't make a cheap, hollow plastic sounding "click" when I tap it with my finger. Finally, it's evenly spaced from the strings, so it's kind of like resting your thumb on the B string of a 5 string bass. I'm very happy with the results and I no longer have to worry about messing up the pickup by using it as a thumbrest.

2. The pic doesn't seem to work... but it's a good idea!

3. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Please, try again. I think I fixed it. And thanks!

4. Way to go Fresno!!

It's cool to break new ground isn't it? But I'm warning you, this will get into your blood :help:

5. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Good idea. I have a few ebony keys and I'm going to make me some thunbrests. They're pretty scratched up so I'll have to smooth them up with sandpaper. What's a good finish for the ebony? Thanks for the help.

6. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks! I didn't use any finish on the ebony key. I didn't really touch the exposed surfaces (the top sides). I just sanded the underside (where I made the cut) until it was smooth and flat. The ebony is a hard wood, so you have to use a fine tooth, hardwood blade and it takes a good bit of sanding.

Post some pics when you are done. I'd like to see the finished project.