Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebony top wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Hey
    Can Ebony used as a top wood :S Just curious lol!
    Thanks
    Troy

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    sure can. Nordstrand, Ritter, Carl Thompson and Scott French come to mind. All pretty high end stuff though.

3. Macassar ebony for sure. :bassist:

4. Sweet as. How would it affect the tone?
    THanks
    Troy

5. sure can..when i was about to buy a james bass...unfortuantely didnt go through due to financial reasons..i was going to have an ebony top....

les claypool has one with an ebony top and fingerboard..its beautiful
    [​IMG]

6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Yes it can... my favorite...

[​IMG]

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  8. hey Troy,

I had a pair of Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabasses (the original model, one fretted and one fretless) for year and they had ebony tops. that was what inspired me to us the wenge for my Conklin and Bee 8-strings!

it give the tone, I think, a little darkness and a certain focus through the low mids.

it's one of my favorite woods both in terms of aesthetics and timbre! great stuff and very tough!

from the lows,

Stew

9. don't forget that beautiful Eshenbaugh single cut

[​IMG]

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Here's an Alembic in Ebony...
    [​IMG]

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    We have been using Ebony (Diospyros) for 'Tops' for over 20 years. From the Set-neck Dovetail Basses we made in NY in the early 80s on up to the Current Elite Series Neck-thru Basses made here in our PA Shop, Ebony has been a choice for many Bassists looking for that true fundamental Bass response. We have also made Ebony Top and Back models as well. We have an ample supply and source of Ebony as I feel it is one of the most unique tone woods on the planet.

'Diospyros' translated from Latin to English means "Breath of the Gods".

Here are a few examples; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/woodpages/ebony.html
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckthru/elite/bsr5egebony.htm

Bottom pic, Middle-right shelf, Ebony Lumber; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/ft/lumbersection/woodwax.html

12. i love ebony fingerboards...yet to play a bass with an ebony top...but i love the smooth glassy texture you get from it..and some of the grain it gets is incredible

13. I am nearly certain I would murder for that ebony topped Smith 5er.

I hate being 17, and not having lots and lots of money.

14. it doesn't matter what age you are, Bryan. not having money is tough at any age if you're a musician!

:(

from the lows,

Stew

15. Tousche Stew lol! Man Thanks Mr Smith, those basses are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Stew thats next on your list :D LoL!
    Thanks
    Troy

16. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd love an ebony facing, and a rear too, on the customs I'm having built. The ME facings on Rami's Rogue that lbanks linked are beautiful. But after paying for the ebony neck laminates, using ebony covered pickups and an ebony fretboard, I thought it might be a bit much.

17. hey Troy,

if I had the money and the wood were available, I'd get an ebony top on my next bass for sure!

:cool:

from the lows,

Stew

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd love an Ebony Orion or Europa with every thing ebony but the fretboard, which would be purpleheart.

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Traditional ebony is so compeltely awesome and so black.. I love it. Massacar ebony doesn't look all that special to me however... I really really want a black ebony topped bass. :help: