1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebow dangerous for your mics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Can ebow destroy your pickups?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    um i don't know about damaging pickups with an ebow. i use mine a lot and haven't seen a difference. i would think that if it caused damage they'd be out of busness pretty fast.

-jimbo

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    ...wait do you mean mics or pickups...?

-jimbo

4. It can't. Basically the ebow is one honkin' big electromagnet. So it's not going to destroy the pickups.

5. Maybe he was worried incase he de-polarised them

6. ..taped the Ebow to a large hammer, & beat the pickups w/it? If the Ebow hit the pickups first, wouldn't it(the Ebow)be damaging it(the pickup)? And what about the *plus* version vs the non-plus? Carrots?

:bag:

7. sheesh...

strong magnetic fields CAN damage pickups - if you don't believe me, take a rare earth magnet and rub it all over YOUR pickups and then come back and tell us how you went. ;)

The distinction is that the eBow is actually not just an electromagnet, it's also a pickup itself. The electromagnet produces a varying magnetic field that I believe is phase locked to the note frequency.

So, we know that a constant magnetic field can upset pickups, that begs the question - can a varying magnetic field do the same damage. I don't know - but I've not heard of any horror stories yet.