Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebow dangerous for your mics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Can ebow destroy your pickups?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    um i don't know about damaging pickups with an ebow. i use mine a lot and haven't seen a difference. i would think that if it caused damage they'd be out of busness pretty fast.

-jimbo

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    ...wait do you mean mics or pickups...?

-jimbo

4. It can't. Basically the ebow is one honkin' big electromagnet. So it's not going to destroy the pickups.

5. Maybe he was worried incase he de-polarised them

6. ..taped the Ebow to a large hammer, & beat the pickups w/it? If the Ebow hit the pickups first, wouldn't it(the Ebow)be damaging it(the pickup)? And what about the *plus* version vs the non-plus? Carrots?

:bag:

7. sheesh...

strong magnetic fields CAN damage pickups - if you don't believe me, take a rare earth magnet and rub it all over YOUR pickups and then come back and tell us how you went. ;)

The distinction is that the eBow is actually not just an electromagnet, it's also a pickup itself. The electromagnet produces a varying magnetic field that I believe is phase locked to the note frequency.

So, we know that a constant magnetic field can upset pickups, that begs the question - can a varying magnetic field do the same damage. I don't know - but I've not heard of any horror stories yet.