1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebow for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dustinfennessey, Aug 20, 2012.

1. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Has anyone ever used an Ebow for bass? I'm an effects junky and Ebows have always interested me :)

2. Never used an Ebow but I'm currently doing some bowing of an upright through my pedalboard for one band that wants that kind of sonic experimentation. I have to say it sounds pretty awesome bowing through a POG2, chorus, Iron Ether Oxide and phaser.

bassbowashx.

3. Here you go sir.

update: full version ^

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I borrowed buddys ebow in January, sold my guitar amp in Feb, so it has been sitting here collecting dust, I figured why not test it on bass now.

It does work on bass, I tried it on my 4 string Dingwall, I didn't listen to the tape that came with it (he got it probably over 10 years ago) I just turned it on and let it buck.

I know my buddy never really used it because it is kinda lame, and it does appear that way to me, it allows for some crazy distorted sustain which one might like but I would find it cumbersome and irritating to actually play with it live.

I only spent a couple minutes with it and I probably won't spend much more with it, not for me. It does work though, and you have to find a sweet spot for it to work best I find.

EDIT: That video is pretty much exactly what your looking for.... makes me want to go attempt this thing again.

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I use one in one of my bands song for our chorus: I run my Fender P-Bass with flatwounds into a Way Huge Swollen Pickle > Roland RE-20 Space Echo and it sounds amazing! I can post a video if you want....

It takes some getting use to (esp with flatwounds) but the sound is worth the learning curve. I use a Plus EBOW and only use the harmonic mode.

6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I use an Ebow frequently. Michael Manring uses Ebow in a manner that is quote virtuosic in many cases. Give it a try. It's a lot more like a technique than an effect. It takes a good bit practice to get good with it but it is damn cool and actually can be very useful if you can master palming it and switching between fingerstyle and using the Ebow to sustain notes and create bowing effects. Fretless+Ebow= match made in heaven. Have fun with it.

7. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I've used the Ebow for years on bass. Takes a bit of practice to get the heavier strings to move when you want them to. Total mayhem (in a good way) when you distort the Ebow-driven notes and then send into your modulations & delay....EPIC!

8. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    im thinking it would sound great with my pog or superego or DLA....argh...now i have to get one hehe

9. .
    I'm pretty sure i've seen a few ebow/bass videos on Youtube in the past.

Greg

10. As said above, it is definitely possible although it takes some time to learn. Compared to using it on guitar, it isn't as quick to get the bass strings to vibrate, which makes it difficult to switch between strings quickly.

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but the spacing of the E-bow is made for guitar, so you will have to develop a fairly steady hand to make it play right for you on bass.

I used an E-bow as a feedback effect into a phaser on the intro of a song of my old band. Gradually increasing the speed of the phaser and the intensity of the E-bow. It's the first 20 seconds of "Hold Me Down" here: http://www.myspace.com/stalfonso/music

The E-bow in itself is very nice for alternative sounds, but combined with any (and all) effects it lets you be as creative as you like. Very nice! :bassist:

11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Eric Czar has used it, but I can't remember on which of his compositions exactly...search him up on youtube...amazing player.

12. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Why aren't they developing an ebow with a neodymium magnet? You know, something stronger you don't have to start up very often?

13. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    I've been using one since roughly 98 or 99 and love it! It does have quite a steep learning curve before you can effectively use it live IMO but it is great for creating swells and long sustain and if you move it towards the pickups the electromagnetic interference creates what can be a really cool distorted, sustained sound if done right. Watch Michael Manring videos online if you want to see what someone that truly is amazing with using one (and sometimes two at once). Really you have to try it out and play with it and allow yourself some patience as for at least myself and my other bassist friends - it didn't sound good right away until you focus on the technique (and make sure it is parallel to the string) before it really shined as a tool.