Ebow Workings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Psychobiker, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Guys,

I'm wondering how the Ebow works. Not 'put it on the strings and the drive field vibrates the string', I'm talking the actual circuitry behind it, like is it basically an electromagnet etc.
    I have looked everywhere, but can't find any info.
    Helpful replies only, please

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...calling Bassmonkeee...

...calling Bassmonkeee...

...seriously, PM Bassmonkee, he's got one and seems to understand it pretty well. Heck, I couldn't even get a noise out of the dang thing when I borrowed it from him at the last Atl/TB get-together! :p He makes it sing! :D
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Seriously, just go to www.ebow.com

They explain it a heck of a lot better than I ever could.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Basically, it's an electromagnet that's being fed an alternating current. Through the miracle of electromagnetic induction, the alternating electrical field generates a varying magnetic field, which is converted into magnetic energy and drives the vibrations of the string.

Think of it as a pickup in reverse. The pickup turns the mechanical energy of string vibrations into electrical energy. The ebow does the reverse.
  5. But, if I built my own (to suit bass) and powered it with 9V DC, would it do the same thing?
  6. Wish I had the kind of skills to buld something like that at age 14...
  7. ;)
    It's not actually terribly difficult, anybody can build a simple electromagnet!
    However, in relation to building stuff, I built my first 2x10/1x15" at age 13! Beat that!