Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    So, I was searching for a way to emulate a cello bow swell sound, and +came across the eBow in the search threads.

After reading up on their site it seems that due to string width they are designed for guitar. I remember these units and seem to think there was once made specificlly for bass. Is this correct?

I see none on da Bay.
  2. nope...they never sold them, but they did design them...i believe steve lawson wrote about ebow sending him a prototype bass version, and he sent it back because he was used to the guitar version...acutally, i have the ebow, and i find it works fine with bass, so long as you have the patience to learn it...just like steve lawson told me, it's just like learning a new technique...you probably couldn't slap the first time you tried, but after a while you get the hang of it :)
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd throw this over to technique, probably get a few more responses.
  4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sorry Tim- I thought the eBow qualifies as an effect. Didn't mean to post it in the wrong forum.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It's a bit tougher to use on the thicker strings, but E-bow works great for bass. Once you figure out a system for holding it, it's not hard to get it in line with bass strings. I love mine.

The biggest problem I've found with my E-bow is that the surface of it is like teflon and it slides off of my rack case and tables all of the time and the battery cover pops off. I need to cover it in rubber grip tape or something.
  6. eBows work just fine on bass but you have to use them a little differently.

First of all, you can't really rest the eBow on the strings like on a guitar since the grooves are in the wrong positions. I don't really care about that since I wouldn't want the noise of plastic against the string anyway.

Second, if you want to get a good sustained note, you have to tap or pluck the string just slightly before or while using the eBow. If you don't, it won't register the fundamental and won't cause the string to vibrate. Or, it will lock onto a harmonic and resonate that.

You can use the harmonic resonances as part of your technique. Just visualize where the string vibration nodes are and play in between them. It will naturally enhance that harmonic.

- Dave