Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebow

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by KB, Jul 13, 2000.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Michael,
    I have been interested in getting an Ebow to play with my fretted basses, but I can't seem to find anyone who has a lot of experience with it on a bass. What are you opinions on this since I have heard that you use it some on your basses. What does it sound like on bass? Can you achieve bowed cello or upright sounds with it,or do you just have to stick with "space" sounds with it. I have an EH bass synth pedal as well and I was also curious as to how it would sound with that too. Any info you have would be greatly appiciated (since none of my local music shops have one, so I would have to mail order it.

Thanks in advance

-KB

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi,

I'm not Michael, but I do use an E-bow a lot, and have a Bass Microsynth as well - the combination of the two is great! If you set the synth onto one of the velocity controlled sounds, and move the E-bow along the string, you get a great envelope effect that sounds like nothing else.

As for replicating the sound of a URB or Cello - well, there are definitely similarities, and you can play melodies with an E-Bow, though changing strings is tricky, but it's really a sound of it's own. I use mine mainly on fretless, but have used it on fretted as well, and use it in conjunction with various delay, reverb and step filter effects to create soundscapes that you just can't get any other way...

I'm sure that Michal will fill you in on his own E-Bow discography, suffice to say that Adhan from his album 'Thonk' is an exquisite composition that uses two E-Bows at once!!!! If you've not heard it,and you can find a copy of the album, get it, it's fabulous...

Steve www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Once again Steve has made my job easy by answering your questions so thoroughly! I am a huge fan of the EBow and while I agree that it does shine a bit more on the fretless than the fretted, I've actually come to consider it an indispensable part of the bass and I always keep one close by no matter which instrument I'm playing. I've long since lost count of how many recordings I've used the EBow on -- my guess would be somewhere around 100 -- but do check out Steve's use of it. He has a wonderful touch and he really shows what the EBow is capable of!

Thanks for writing,
    Michael

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    After waiting all these years that's it I'm getting one maybe two like steve says

5. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    14 years later.......14....

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    In tree-years it's nothing

7. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I find Manring's eBow use amazing because there is no such thing as a bass eBow. I own one and it's very tricky because the grooves are meant to be guides for a guitar's string spacing. Holding the eBow close enough to get a magnetic vibration but without accidentally knocking one of the adjoining strings is a difficult task that would be made easier if they would just make the device for a variety of string spacings.

8. Ale the Snail

Ale the Snail Supporting Member

I just picked up a ebow today.
    Was alittle worried, read alot of people having a hard time getting it to work on bass.
    Boy, am I ever happy I risked it and got one!
    After 5 mins or so I could get the string ringing somewhat, 2 hours later and I can get the string to activate when ever I want.
    I am running my bass in stereo though. one channel low end the other overdrive. Maybe that makes it easier?
    Sounds so nice on fretless, like the bass is singing.