Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS-1 PRE-AMP and QSC USA 900 ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Jul 29, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hey

i have a chance to get ahold of a EBS -1 Pre-amp, along with a QSC 900 US power amp.

the power amp puts out 900 watts bridged at 8 ohms.

does anyone have experience with these products? the pre-amp has a built in compressor in it, does anyone know if its any good??

thanks

eric

2. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Compressor on EBS 1 is actually very good - it doesn't color the sound and you barely notice it when it's working.
    EQ section is very versatile(even it doesn't have many bells & wisthles other preamps do) and suggested preamp settings from the manual are usable and are good starting point for building your sound.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto what he said. its a great preamp.

getting it worked on though, "if" you need it and need parts, might be a pain

4. +1... the best 'on board' compressor one you can get IMO

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    sweet thanks for the heads up
    does it add " colour" to my bass sound?

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    QSC USA 900 worked very well for me, it was a bit awkward at 3 rack spaces which is why I bought something smaller. The tone and punch was very good, I would not hesitate to use one given the situation. Good amp and probably on the used market it's a good price. ($250-$275 would be a good deal on one. $400 will get you more power for sure) good luck

7. My QSC USA900 works like a champ for an old beast. It has all the power I think I would ever need, has a nice clean signal, and the features are nice (bridge, parallel, stereo mode, limiter, 30hz or 50hz filter). The only thing I don't like about it is having the gain knobs on the back but that is a minor detail to me.

This is the only power amp I have ever used on a bass rig FWIW.

8. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    While it has EBS sound, it adds very little coloration(as I wrote earlier EQ section is very usable and versatile), and if you want to be purist you can bypass whole EQ section :D