EBS-1 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone played through these?
    Im talking about the first model, not the updated versions sold today.
    They can be picked up here for around $150-200 and Im looking for a cheap way to drive a poweramp.
    How do they sound?
  2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I like the ebs sound. For that price I would take one. They are alot more $$$ here in the states.
  3. they sound great.
    i usualy play through valveamps and prefer that sound, but i must admit that the sounds from those ebs-1 are super. you can get woody-vintage tones aswell as sparkling hi-fi sounds. i haven´t tried the new ones so i don´t know about them but i think you should go for it
  4. What?!! Where?! Tell me and I´ll take first boat to Stockholm!
  5. AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    EBS pre for 150 - 200 US?

When I was researching heads I was wondering the same and tried to net-find EBS suff from classified ads in Sweeden but could not locate any.

Jock maybe you can answer for all of us...

How much are used EBS (say) 350's going for over there?

After all shipping is pretty reasonable these days.
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, the 350´s are not common at all. I´ve only seen two so far. And because of the low dollar they are not cheap in America, About US$1180 used and $1400 new.

The older preamps seem to be hard to sell here and the prices are really low. But they can be hard to find.
    They pop up once in a while. Im jumping on the next one to see if I like it. If I dont I´ll let you guys know.
  7. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    I bought one from www.jam.se for ~280€ about a year ago. And I thought THAT was a good price, although it came with a broken two-pin power cord (not available anywhere, even from EBS). It sounds absolutely wonderful, but given a choice I think I'd opt for the newer models (classic or v2) since they have a more usable mid-frequency range sweep (not 80Hz-3kHz on a single knob like mine, sometimes really hard to find just the right spot) ..