Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS-1 Preamps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 29, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

still on the hunt for that cool, unique "rock" sounding preamp. friend of mine hipped me to EBS' preamps. i love the Fafner series of EBS heads, but will i be getting that sound from an EBS single space preamp?

how do they compare to other "rock" preamps like the Sansamp RBI, Ashdown RPM-1, Ampeg, SWR Interstellar Overdrive, etc.

Cerio likes this.
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hey Joker, I've been curious about the EBS-1, also. I've heard that it was the same as the Fafner's pre.

My Fafner has a very different tone than any of my preamps or my WT-800. It is a SS preamp using the tube for the drive circuit.

It's odd as I've had the Fafner for about 6 months now and I haven't really experimented with all the tone possibilities. It's so easy to dial in a great tone and just fly with that.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Joker, have you heard anything on the Epifani preamp?

4. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I use the EBS-1 version 2 and a Fafner. I like both very much, but they are quite different. in design

The Fafner (preamp stage) has the "normal" tone controls you find on most preamps, and has a tube that can be blended in to do old school tube amp sounds. The EBS-1v2 has three bands of semi-parametric EQ that are boost only (no cut) and has no tubes.

Tonewise the Fafner can do pretty much anything from modern to old school, and sounds nice and warm run flat. I think the Fafner would appeal to most players. Someone unfamiliar with the Fafner would feel at home right away and be able to dial in a sound quickly.

The EBS-1v2 is a very modern clean hi fi sound. It doesn't do the old school sound well at all. It's a specialized preamp with unusual EQ that demands a different approach to dialing in a sound. Someone unfamiliar with this preamp might take a long time to understand it (especially if they favor subtractive EQ over additive). With all of that said it's still my favorite preamp ever, and I've tried most of what's out there. I generally run it with EQ disabled, or with a minimal boost on the lows and low mids.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Version 2 is a totally different animal than the Version 1. I had a V1 and it was awesome, very much like the tone described here about the Fahner.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol, nope, you're guess is as good as mine.

but, thx again for the info. sounds like a great preamp! just wish it did have a "subtractive" element to the powerful EQ system, cause we all have those annoyingly boomy rooms to deal with.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Coming soon to www.basstasters.com - the EBS V1.

And about the Epifani - I have it from a good source that we may just see it this fall... maybe earlier on BT :D

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think Adrian Garcia uses an EBS pre, Joker. You might PM him.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek:

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, you can, kind of. The filter operation lets you build a sound without filter, 50/50 filter/live, or 100% filter. So you could try and dial in a sound using the filter section which compensates for the boomy room. I've never done this in practice, but I'd imagine it's possible.

Here's a link to the manual:
    http://www.ebs.bass.se/2001/manuals/ebs1cl.pdf

BTW, I have the EBS v1 classic as I was very curious about it and snapped one up. Haven't had a chance to play with it much before I sent it off to basstasters. As soon as I get it back from Todd V, we could meet up and you could have a play with it. And I could try out your Epifani Ultralight rig of joy :D

And Mr V, spill the Epifani beans! Last time I spoke with them, couple of weeks ago, there was still no release date set.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Todd....., you know something we don't know about the Epi pre....let's hear it.....this has already gone on long enough.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Man, you know i would if i could. I'm not in a position to disclose what I was told, since i may receive a pre-release unit to put up on BT to "spur the action". You guys won't BELIEVE what else Nick has up his sleeves either. My jaw dropped (if it's true).

Get excited! But I can't give details. Soon, all will become apparent :)

And about the EBS - SWEET EQ section. Super flexible, almost as much so as my beloved 680 - but much more of a rock sound. They truly captured the fafner sound in that preamp, surprise, surprise.

clips coming soon, i promise :)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh,

i already know about the "Epifani" limited edition Lamborghini. :rolleyes: :D

but seriously,

you guys totally rock! ask a question on TB, and somebody's already sent the preamp to Van & the BT Boyz.

:bassist:

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Lol - the fhodson treatment! Doh!

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    make my brown eye blue! :D

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Just wanna say thumbs up on the EBS Classic 1 -
    I chose it when the production show I used to do asked me what preamp I would like- after the show closed I went ang got my own- very versatile eq - extremely reliable-
    I have no need or want for another pre...

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I guess I need to put the EBS-1 on "THE" list. I sure dig my Fafner. But the big charm about the Fafner is the power that I get out of a light weight head. It sure rocks my pair of Berg 112's and I can't wait the get my fully functioning Epi T310 to see what the Fafner will do with that. :bassist: