EBS-1 users, let´s talk!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CoolHat, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Haya!

I´ve finally gotten my new rig together and I´m loving it! My :hyper: EBS-1/Crown XLS402/EBS NEO-112:hyper:-setup (not to mention my new Neuser bass!) has really opened my ears to whole new universe of sonic excellence. I´ll post some pics of my new friends when I get a hold of a digicam...

Enough with bragging and to the point: while I really love the clarity and versatility of the EBS-1, I´m still a bit lost with the EQ. I can get great sounds, but it takes some serious tweaking. So all you fellow EBSians, I would like to know how you approach your Swedish beasts. Do you use the EQ in "Active" or "Mix" config? How do you build your sound, do you start from nothing (like the manual suggest) with all the EQ levels at zero or what? OBTW, my EBS-1 is the old one (V1?), but feel free to share your experiences regardless of what version you have.

Also, I would like to know if anyone is using the supplied phantom power with their active basses. I´m a bit torn on this: the concept is ingenious, but OTOH I know I will be forced to use other amps from time to time. The tought of forgetting to put in a battery on some sit-in gig is disturbing...

EBS lovers of the world, unite!
  2. First - congrats on your rig. Now the situation:

That's the beauty of the gear - make different connections, looking for the sound one way or the other. I usually start from eq at zero and then work from then on (I've even seen in person when the sound engineer turned all the sliders (32!) down and started again after losing himself in 4 hour mixing).

I myself noticed, that the paralel connection of my preamp and head works better when plugged in a bass cab, but in studio situation, the serial connection works better.

It also depends on a mood. One day I tweak all the time and sometimes the only thing I tweak is the volume knob.

Keep grooving

3. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    are these preamps good? how do they rate against the "big boys" avalon, demeter, kern, alembic.. etc...
  4. EBS claim that they're for the old-school sounding bassist who wants to go back to the original classic bass sound (hence the name), so is this preamp unsuitable for modern styles? What about slap and finger-style funk?
  5. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    EBS-1 does it all.
    Check basstasters for clips - slap clips (with EQ) are very accurate - that sound is almost identical to what I can get with my setup (EBS1V2-Mackie M1400-EBS210). The EQ section can be little confusing at first, but it is very usable and you can get many sounds from it. User's manual is very helpful at first - suggested settings really work and are good starting point for seeking your sound.
    With EBS every bass has it's own sound and preamp just helps them a bit in sounding better :smug: .
  6. jorge84

Aug 25, 2005
    czech rep.
    HI all! Yesterday I received my EBS-1. I bought it from one man from Sweden and so far I´m happy! It´s so versatile and nice sounding! compressor works well, eq. can make my bass sound in many many different ways..