Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS 12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm becoming more and more dissatisfied with my Eden 410XLT...and was thinking about moving over to an EBS 4x12. But, EBS itself if fairly rare, and I've yet to see a 12" model.

Does anyone (our overseas friends?) have any input on the sound of the EBS 12s, be it 1, 2 or 4 of them? I unfortunately can't play before I buy, so input on them is pretty crucial.

And how would you compare them to the Eden sound? Or SWR, Aguilar, and sort of reference point would be great. Thanks.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Read the reviews of the new TD650 on EBS´s site.
    They tested it through the 412 cab.
    According to one of Stockholms biggest musicstores its the best cab they have ever heard. Sure they make money of it but there has to be something great with that cab, right?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...have you actually gotten ahold of one?

Or anyone, for that matter?

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, i've only played EBS combos with the 12", so i can't really tell if it's the preamp or the speaker that makes the sound. Anyway, the combos i've tried all have quite a transparent sound, with very powerful EQ-possibilites. With a tweeter it can get quite bright, and with my Status it offers mostly modern tones. I prefer more vintage sounding cabs for that bass, since it sounds pretty modern in itself. But the amps i've tried were all punchy and loud, despite not very high wattage.

I hope this helps atleast a bit.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    well, combos can be telling...how did it handle a B string?

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i can't offer any help with the 12's, but i played a 36" scale fretless schack 5 string (the one that's at bass central now) through an HD 350 head and an ebs 4x10, and quite honestly, i was floored. it really sounded great. this was about 6 or 7 moths ago, and i remember trying it out and liking it a lot, so it's stuck with me for a while. i remember it being transparent and really punchy. i'm interested in what the 12's sound like as well. unfortunately, the only other ebs cab bass nw had was the 311 (1x15+1x10).

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn the luck!

I've got no doubts that it'd be a good cab (the 412) but I'd like to know if I could recoup my losses if I were to not like it after I bought it.

And they are kinda expensive. :eek:

But I'd be driving it with a 1000watt amp, so it'd get a lot of juice.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, they're pricey, alright. i'm in the same boat...i wish i had the cash to blow on that epifani 6x10, but i just don't have the bread. and that ebs 4x12 does look mighty yummy. sometimes it sucks being a lowly E-6 in the navy :(

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I LOVE Epi gear. Their 2x10 and 2x12s are AMAZING cabs. Paired with an EBS HD-350, I'd say it's probably my favorite sounding setup.

Of course, that was at Bass Central, with all their super nice toys...and I need a tad more firepower. Epi's don't strike me as big boys...more like recording and jazz bombers, as opposed to metal rigs, which is what I do. Still wouldn't mind that 6x10 though...

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And he saideth, "Let there be bump!"

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    What is it about your Eden that you find wanting?

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    probably has something to do with low B and below.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If that's the only problem, perhaps dropping an Eden 115 under there will solve it. It could add some beef and volume at the same time.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The bottom end is part of it. I kick up the bass to help the B string, then the frequencies bleed over to E string, and then the E is HUGE and the B is still weak...it's a circular EQ thing...

And I'm not to fond of 15s...they're just a bit slow, and I've yet to hear one that sounds good to my ears, including the Eden ones.

I'm hoping the 12s will be the best of both worlds. That 412 is spicey...

Of course, I should be switching preamps here shortly to something besides an Eden, so we'll see how the XLT handles with a new head to stick in it's pipe.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
  16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HOT CORN!

I am soooo up for that.