1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS 240 Taurus combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joebar, Mar 9, 2013.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i have a chance to buy one of these but i am unfamiliar.
    what would be a reasonable price on one of these?
    any info would be appreciated ty

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    wow-crickets...
    is this amp that rare that no one has experience with it?

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You can't wait more than 8 hours for a reply? :)

Everyone on TB who has experience could be in another time zone, or on some thread arguing whether expensive power strips are snake oil. :) That, my friend is way more important than even eating so get in line. ;)

4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    no biggie
    i can wait

5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The Taurus was EBS' first combo, a 240W 2x10 which preceded the 150W 1x12 Drome and the 350W 2x12 Gorm. It's a bit unique in two regards: It apparently contained an active crossover for connecting an external power amp/subwoofer, and it integrated chorus and sub-octave effects, in addition to the excellent compressor and EQ that all EBS amps have featured. I've never played one, but as it's the cousin to my Drome, I would guess it's got a solid, transparent, "hi fi" sound. If you want something tubey, look elsewhere, but EBS are superb amps for everything from metal to jazz. Dromes are going for about $500 used these days. Tauruses are older and heavier (the Drome is a *fantastic* combo for a one-handed carry), but have more features and power, so I'd say if you can get it for under $500, it's a good deal. What are they asking? Have you been able to put it through its paces?

One thing that's come up with the older EBS combos, including my Drome and the Taurus of some other TBer, is that after 5-10 years, the switching jacks (headphones, effects loops) need to be cleaned to keep them from causing scary audio cut-outs. Some folks have gotten amazing deals buying older EBSes that I think had gone intermittent like this, and the owners unloaded them cheap rather than figure out that it wasn't a major repair.

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    the thing is, he wasn't diligent in returning emails and was a little flaky.
    i ended up buying something else more suitable to my needs.
    the amp is listed on Vancouver CL for 360 if anyone is interested.