Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS-311 vs. SWR Triad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lenko, May 4, 2003.

1. EBS-311

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. SWR Triad

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Hi!
    I would like to hear your opinion on both cabs - EBS and SWR. SWR is cheaper, but I don't know about it's quality and sound.
    Thanks.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Judging by the specs the EBS´s sensitivity is 6dB louder than the triad and thats a lot. I´ve also heard complaints about the Triad being very scooped sounding making it even harder to here in bandsettings. I know the EBS 311 is not.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Personally I've never cared for the sound of the triad. I don't know how to describe it but it just doesn't have a big, open sound that I like. I know many would probably disagree. I think part of it is that when I play through it I can really hear the separation of the frequencies coming from the different speakers and I just didn't really enjoy that. I like that aspect to be fairly seamless in this sort of speaker.

brad cook

4. I have a Triad and I can tell you will either love the sound or hate it. To me it sounds like a big studio monitor. I bought mine to complement a Line6 Pod Pro and it is a good choice for this application. I powered mine with a Carvin DCM1000 and it needed every bit of the headroom. I've not been using it as of late due to the way it fits in the back of the truck. I have it in a custom made road case and it's just too big and heavy to throw in and out of a pickup truck with the rest of my PA equipment. I never had any trouble hearing mine and the drummer I played it with was the worlds worse about cluttering up the sound. I recommend that you play both of these cabs as they probably sound very different from eachother. If you are after that "studio monitor" sound, you might also look into the Accugroove Whappo Jr. It is about the same size and weight and is praised as being the real sh!t........Good Luck..:bassist:

5. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I have a triad cab. No need to worry about SWR quality, maybe with the workingmans series. And it sounds good in any setting. However I have heard good things about SWR Henry 8 which is what I'd like to get next to add to my triad.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are considering these two cabs, then I would also throw into the mix the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. (as Greybeard suggested) or the Bergantino HT 322. I haven't heard the 322 yet, but Low Down Sound currently has both the Whappo, Jr. and the HT 322 in stock, so I just may have to check them out.:D

They may also have a Triad, as they are an SWR dealer, too. They also offer a line of custom cabs, and I seem to recall them saying that they had a Triad-like design, which I am sure would be less money than a "real" triad.

Later, Tom.

7. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    How much do these cabs cost? I know that Bergie has listed price around 1300$, which is a little too much and I also know that Accugrooves are not among the cheapest cabinets...

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Bergie HT 322 lists for $1,350, and the Whappo, Jr. for $1,741, I believe.

Accugroove also makes some less expensive full-range speakers, like the Tri 110 ($961 list), Tri 112 ($1,044) , Tri 208 (price TBA), and Mini Whappo ($1,398).

For the budget-minded, I would suggest talking to Don at Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com). He is willing to build pretty much whatever kind of cab you want, and I checked out his workshop and several models of completed cabs and works in progress. He definitely knows what he is doing, and sells a good cab for the money.

Tom.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really liked how my triad sounded at lower than gig-level volumes, but it just got buried when you were cranking. not loud enough for me, even when i hit it with 750w of power. (my avatar 112 is louder by itself!)

but i can imagine that if you were using a pod pro or something with a speaker emulator, these cabs would work very well.

10. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Low Down might be good for the money, but I live in Slovenia, and shipping would be too expensive. I would buy Avatars, but shipping costs more then cab itself...:mad:

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Lenko wrote:

"Low Down might be good for the money, but I live in Slovenia, and shipping would be too expensive. I would buy Avatars, but shipping costs more then cab itself..."

That, my friend, is a darn good point...

Tom.

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As you are in Europe go with EBS, Glockenklang or Hevos as they make great cabs and you get much more for your money than with the US alternatives.
    But if you can find a used cab that´s an other story.:bassist:

13. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Hm...I couldn't find Glockenlang's homepage...do they have one?

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    www.glockenklang.de

15. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I see in yor profile that you have experience with EBS - I know that in new batch of equipment should arrive shortly in Slovenia (talked to Slovenian dealer) maybe he has a 311 in that batch you can try out? If it's not big problem to take a longer trip go to musik produktiv in Wienna - they have big selection of boxes. Third option is Croatian Eden dealer but he is sometimes unreliable, yet on occasions he has some good equipment lying around in the shop.

16. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Slovenian EBS dealer isn't getting anything; EBS emailed me, that they are not sending any EBS amps to him because he didn't order anything. The guy's full of bull****. I'm waiting for EBS MultiDrive for 9 months now...:mad:

17. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    OOPs didn't know that
    always good to know more information

18. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium

What is that, sensitivity?? Can you explain it please (i am just curious)

19. It's how easily you get your feelings hurt ( OOPS, wrong forum ;)) It's how loud a speaker will play given 1 watt of power with the microphone at 1 meter in front of the cab. The Triad is 98 db at 1W1M and -6db at 37 hz and 16khz meaning that 37hz and 16 khz are probably the lowest and highest usable frequencies. So when you compare 2 speakers this rating will help you decide just how much power a given speaker will need. You need to double your wattage for every 3db of volume gain. So if 1 speaker is rated at 98 db and another one is rated at 101, the (98) will need twice the power to produce the same volume as the (101). I've played all types of cabs and the Triad was loud enough for me. But, it is not voiced like most bass cabs. It is designed to be like a big studio monitor and needs to be EQ'd to get the sound you want. As I said earlier, I use mine with a Pod Pro and when you dial up the different settings, it really does sound like an svt or bassman or whatever. Also be advised that the Triad is a 4-ohm cab. That's good if you intend for it to be the only cab you use. It can be bad if you intend to use it conjunction with other cabs. Good Luck

20. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanks a lot. Now I understand it!!
    You should become a teacher!!:D