Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS 350 vs. Mesa Walkabout Head vs. EA i350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RichValentine, Sep 5, 2005.

1. I have all of these heads available to me at the moment for the £400-500 range here. I currently have an EBS Neo112 and shortly a Neo110.
    However, I am unable to try any of these heads before I buy due to the fact that only really shops in London would have these for me to try out. I was wondering if I could have peoples opinions on these.
    I will be using a jazz bass through this and am trying to head towards a funk/jazz/bluesy direction in music.
    What are peoples opinions on these, the main characteristics and which would you choose. I appreciate that tone is a personal subject but as I said I can't try them out so am relying on peoples opinions.

Cheers,

Rich V.

2. Ive got the Mesa and it is full of fat tubey goodness, whether thats what you want is up to you. Sadly, I have no experience with the other two, but I would expect the Mesa to be the most "vintage" sounding of the three.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I also own the Mesa Walkabout but I did play a gig with the EBS. I prefer the Walkabout for the tube tone although if you don't overdrive the preamp it will get a very clean, more hi-fi like tone. versatile tone controls too and it's very easy to get a good sound. i use it with a P bass, an Ibanez with humbuckers and active eq and a Carvin jazz type. They all sound very good.

The EBS is also fairly versatile but if you want that tube sound the Walkabout will get it. As far as reliability goes, I've had no problems at all with the Mesa. I can't say about the EBS but I hear they are good too.