Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS 410 Speaker Replacement (please help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jani_sl0, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    :help: I need 4 speaker replacements for my EBS 410 4x10 cabinet..

EBS 410 cabinet has volume of 116 liters and the Frequency Response before was 70 - 18k Hz, sensetivity was at 103dB..

I want to use smth from Eminence.. i got to choose from:
    - Delta 10
    - Gamma 10
    - Beta 10
    - Legend B102

Im trying to get the best sensitivty possible (at least 102dB)

(in my country (slovenia-europe) i can't get nothing else but eminence and i can't get the drivers reconed..)

Im also trying to wire the cab with new drivers in 8 ohm-s (before was 4ohms) becouse i also have 1x15 cab rated at 8ohms..

Help me choose a speaker fast.. is Beta 10 the best choice?

im sorry for bad english..
    :help:

2. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    anyone? :help: im really in a hurry..

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Get the original drivers from EBS. Send them a mail. They are usually really helpful.
    Don´t mess with the cab by changing the drivers. There is no way to predict how it will sound.

4. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    i already did that.. didn't help.. Guy from EBS said, that the shipping cost would be to high.. I gotta go with Eminence.. i just don't know what to choose..

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I also recommend the EBS speakers, regardless of cost.

If however you NEED to crapshoot, if the cab is sealed with no ports go with the Legends. If its ported, got with either the Beta, or the Kappa Pro.

6. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    could someone please run a sim in WinISD and tell me what would be the best choice?

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I understand your pain. Replacement drivers aren't easy to find in Australia either.

Forget the Delta 10's. They're a PA speaker and produce little bottom end.

The Beta 10 are cheap and nasty. They have a very small suspension travel so I wouldn't use them for anything that requires reproduction of low frequencies. It's a midrange driver at best.

The Ledgend BP102 isn't a bad driver. It goes very low, but I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for this cab. The sensitivity spec is too low, and the speaker needs a much bigger cabinet. (About 60litres per speaker).

Of the speakers mentioned, the the Gamma 10's are better for bass, but the need aprox 44Litres per speaker. You're only offering 29 litres per speaker, but it could still work OK.

I can do a quick WinISD simulation but first, I need to know the tuning frequency of the cabinet. To work this out, I'll need as much detail as pssible about the existing ports. If they're round, I'll need to know how many ports, the diameter, and the length. If they're shelf ports, I'll also need to know how many, and the height, width, and depth of each port.

I suspect a -3dB point of 60 or 70 Hz is achievable, though the limits of this speaker will be reached fairly early due to the geometry of the suspension.

8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Try emminence kappa pro 10- They are monster speakers.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I used to have an EBS 4x10. I don't have the measurements, but here is a picture of the one I had. It had a port running along the botttom edge of the front.

[​IMG]

10. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    The port is a square with a size of 52,5cm x 5,5cm and the top side goes about 8 cm into the cab.. Here is a pic i made in MsPaint..

[​IMG]

Link to the image

11. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    Petebass:

Maybe i can get some B&C 10" (But im not sure yet)..
    Is there any 10inch model from B&C that would be better than Eminence?

B&C Speakers link

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    By my calcs, a 116 litre cab with those ports is tuned to 57Hz.

Attached is a pic of a WinISD simulation for a 4x Gamma 10's. We're -3dB at 65Hz and we've got a hump at about 110Hz.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any B&C 10's but I'll have a quick look later and get back to you.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Jani how many watts will you be running to this speaker? I ask because the B&C 10HPL51 looks very nice, but it's only rated at 150 watts. 4 of them give you a rating of 600w. Is that enough for your needs? If so, it's another speaker worth considering.

In your cab, it'll be -3dB at 68Hz, but without the 110Hz hump. It also performs better then the Gamma 10 in the suspension Vs Power department. By this I mean that the 4 Gamma speakers may be rated at 1,200, but can be driven to it's excursion limits at 90Hz with a mere 53 watts if fed a pure sine wave. The 4 B&C's in the same situation will need 311 watts before running out of suspension.

What does this all mean? Well when you run out of suspension on your speaker, they distort. But before you panic, there's a couple of things I should point out. First of all, distortion at 90Hz isn't easily picked up by human ears. Second of all, this simulation assumes a pure sine wave, something which will never happen at a gig. Bass guitar notes are rich in harmonics, so this data isn't relevant to the intended use. It does however create a basis for comparison. My guess is the B&C's will be considerably more expensive that the Gamma's.

14. Jani_sl0

Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    Tnx allot Petebass!

I will try to contact the guy who sells B&C speakers in my country and get some price info.. Maybe i can get them cheaper than Eminence's (Italy is just a few miles from here), if not i will go with gammas..
    Anyway i'll get back at you when i get some info about B&C..

Tnx for now! :)