EBS Amps/Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Dec 16, 2005.

1. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Guys, I was wondering if a bassist (experienced with a wide range of amps/cabs) could comment on EBS products. Ive heard pretty good things about the Farfner and I know Miller plays them, but how about some comparisons or detailed reviews. Maybe special a concentration on the 4x10 (one is one ebay right now).
  2. The EBS stuff is very nice, but make sure it is the sound you are looking for... It tends to the cleaner side of the sound spectrum, and is great for slapping, but if you are looking for SVT growl or phatness, then rather look elsewhere, especially seeing as their stuff is quite expensive too.

The cabs are very nice - very efficient and very loud! Their frequency response isn't as low as some players would want for a low B, but it does keep the sound very tight and punchy.

In fact, thats the tone I would attribute to the EBS stuff: modern, tight and punchy. It doesn't have thundering lows, but the drive function and the fafner can get their own EBS kinda growl.

My advice is check it out before you buy. You can't really go wrong with the 410, especially if you are gonna be adding another cab to it at a later stage (think a nice 115 or 212?). Also check out the lightweight neo cab range.

But then again all of that is just my opinion, someone else might tell you differently...

3. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I have owned a Fafner, the sound is modern, tight, punchy and sterile, without nice lows. If you boost lows it will give you a muddy sound.

IMO, the HD 350 is theirs best head, which can give you some growl. Add the new Neo 4x10 and it will sound really good.
  4. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    The Fafner is a little warmer than the other EBS amps.
    TD650 is more versatile, you can almost dial in a Fafner sound. Engaging the drive knob can give you a range of more growly tones, works great. Both are superb for slapping.
    HD350 is the more cleaner sounding amp of these, great for funk/slap.
    EBS are modern sounding amps, not sterile IMO, but with a certain signature sound.
    The 410 is a great cab, very loud with good lows and mids, and a sweet top(Marcus..), sounds very good on stage.
    I also have two Neo 112 cabs. They have a growly midrange, plays loud and wieghs 22lbs!

And the Fafner and 650 can play down to 2 ohms, with two 410`s you have all the volume you need
  5. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What the used prices like on the 4x10's - if someone could tell me in the next 7 hours that would be great. Thanks!
  6. EBS isn't cheap, but it's worth it (in my opinion). I own the Fafner head and 410 cab, and it's just great. A very good EQ section, you can dial in almost every sound you want. Although the latest time, I often use the 'bypass' button, so I don't use the EQ section, sounds simple and good :D
    More than loud enough, and a tone to die for, I just love the thing!