EBS amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Aug 4, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Because I'm pleased with their pedals I also tested a few of their amps. I think they sound a little bit too 'soft' or too hi-fi/neutral as some folks prefer to say.... not having real character...etc... not that they sound bad, but do they rule on stage?

Anyone who wants to share their experiences with these amps? Perhaps they do a great job on stage then!
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Have you tried the Fafner? Or the drive knobs on the HD heads? That gives a lot of character IMO. The flat sound may be a bit, well, flat. :rolleyes: But you can get a lot of sounds out of these amps if you give them time.
  3. Hi, this is my first real post (and please forgive me my (bad) english).
    Anyway : I use a EBS Fafner with a EBS 4x10 and 1x15 cabinet on stage and I realy LOVE the sound. I play a Neuser Cloudburst 5-string Bass wich has an EBS-preamp on board (the bass and the amp make a perfect couple). Using the Bright-, compressor-, eq- and the drive-knob I can get almost any sound I want. My opinion is that the Fafner realy gives you the sound that the bass is producing (in the bypass mode), it is not coloured by the amp. I play rock'n Roll, Rock, Soul, Funk, Disco and the EBS does this job great, not mentioned the power it is producing (600W). Realy, I 'm very pleased with this stack, you realy should try it yourself!
  4. I wouldn't describe the EBS Fafner as either "soft" or "too hifi". Unfortunately I have no first hand experience with the TD series. Give the drive knob a bit of a twist and the chances are good that you'll find what you're after.
  5. [​IMG]

My Setup is the Balls

The Fafner head coupled with the cab has soo much dept and tonal range...the drive knob with character button adds a new dimension...

The treb button in with thr briightness in will give u very Hi-fi sound but knock the treb down a bit and boost the drive and you get the best driving sound ive ever heard knock the socks of the Ampeg..since the Fafner has a 12AK in the pre-amp stage

They have lots of tone to themselves but what i loved most about them is they allow the natural bass sound to come through unlike SWR and Ampeg which i found to colour the sound slightly..

Def great for rock, alt rock and stuff is me Fafner but can do Jazz and stuff really great

THe one thing i will say is if you have the horn on the 4x10 turned up you lose a lot of clarity...useful if u have a 1x18 underneither it

id the horn is up too much turn it to about half way....it does have a great effect on the sound....
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Even the HD's are not too flat - there is no such thing!
    EBS have the ability to give you a lot of sounds:
    flat, or modelled with EQ, and or drive.

IMO, they are quite on top of the line in that respect. I'd put them in the same league as EA.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

IMO, they are quite on top of the line in that respect. I'd put them in the same league as EA.

Heh, I bought both an EA iAmp350 and an EBS HD350, figuring I'd keep whichever one I liked better. Now I like them both too much to lose either one. The HD does fretless fusion really, really well, IMO. The amp has lots of character, actually, but different basses do shine through the amp's voicing.
  8. EBS amps are very good. A little tough to tweak at the beginning but once you get used to it they are very user friendly amps.
  9. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I wouldn't think of changing to anything else but more EBS gear :D

My Setup.
    EBS TD-600 Fafner
    EBS Big Size 6x10"

It will sound as good, as You want it to!
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had a Fafner and EBS 4x10 for approximately 4 years and loved it! I'd call it anything but flat. The character wasn't overwhelming, but did add some noticeable grit. The eq was the most flexible I've come across yet. It allowed my basses to really shine through. And, it was louder than %$%$#!!!
  11. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How does it compare to your current rig?
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, that's a toughie. The biggest difference is my current rig, a Read Purity powered by a Stewart 2.1 going through an Epifani 4x10 UL, has an all tube preamp. It's very "tubey" sounding, very sweet in the highs, something I sometimes felt the EBS was a little harsh in...not that EBS can't eq it out fairly easily, but...

The EBS rig I used to own was very mid-centric. The mids are less pronounced in my current rig. It's got its pros and cons, since I'm a fingerstyle player who relies on the mids to "speak". My current rig sounds sweeter. The "clanks" from my Spector actually sound musical with the Read Purity, where they sounded "clanky" through the EBS.

Lastly, while the EBS could produce the lows (seemingly beyond the ratings of 70 Hz), my current rig seems a little deeper. The downside is the EBS lows were definitely tighter.

I remember when I first got the EBS and turned it up to about 3 or so, my chest actually hurt as the speaker was that punchy! I think my current rig could probably do, but I don't have the appropriate forum to test.

I have no qualms recommending either rig, as they're both outstanding.
  13. se_jazman

Mar 2, 2004
    The experience with my Fafner is that it has a cut-off in the higher frequencies when running at flat settings.
    I wasn't happy with the sound at first so I experimented by connecting the bass straight into the effects return, which gave a much clearer sound.
    I have compared with my other amps (Demeter 201 preamp and Thunderfunk) and I felt like something was going on inside the Fafner.
    By boosting the bright control to 90% (!) all the missing liveliness in the sound of the Fafner came back similar to when connecting to the effects return.
    Anyone with similar experience?

With these findings the Fafner got a better place in my set up, and I mainly use it for soul and funk style music.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got to try the HD350 with the 410 today for the first time. All I can say is whoa, what a rig! It was all there. I never had to move the eq from flat. All I did was move the grind knob up past half and it roared. It was such an even sounding rig, all the notes just rang out with ease. If I hadn't just bought a new amp I would have gone home with that one for sure. Very impressive!