Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richnota, Nov 10, 2005.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    I got to play an EBS rig (i think a tube head and 4x10 cab) at the Bass Gallery in London on a recent trip there.

Played a Sei 6 string fretless and a Parker 5 through it and the sound was gorgeous.

Im surprised i see very little from the TB crew on these. Any insights on them?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    EBS don´t do tube heads, only hybrids with a tube in the preamp.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I tried an EBS head and cab out last year and thought they sounded incredibly tight, fat and clear.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Played a Fafner once. It fairly ruled. Very tight, full sound. Did somebody already say that?

5. EBS amps are pretty well respected here on TB for their tone (especially as slap amps - ala Marcus Miller), do a search.

I know some people have had reliability issues, and there isn't great availability or service (if any?) over there in america?

6. From what I understand, the reliability issues are only with the original, older Fafner model. The newer Fafners and the hd350 and TD650 are built like tanks. The 350 and 650 are an unusual combination of crystal clear, hi fi type modern sound (as other's have mentioned, great for slap style), but also grinding 'distorted' rock sounds due to the tube emulation drive control in the 350 and the tube drive control in the 650. Very nice stuff... expensive in the US!

7. yeah, expensive in SA as well, for the TD650, a 410 and 15 rig, it would cost me the same as buying an SVT4-pro and 2 810s!

Thats quite a sick price difference! although I would get a slightly better discount on the ampeg stuff...

8. Hi,

I am using a EBS rigg for several years now : A Fafner TD600 head, EBS-410 and aEBS F-15 cab. For me it is the perfect rigg, quite expensive I know, but I wouldn't trade it for any other rigg. It is very powerfull and very important : it doesn't color the sound of your bass. I play a 5-string bass and several style's of music, and I can say that the sound is clear(n) from the lowest bottom to the highest note, even if you play at a very high volume your sound stays clean and clear! It is a very durable and relyable rigg and the service I am getting from the national EBS-dealer here in Belgium (Leans) is more than perfect!

Dirk

9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    thanks...I think this addition will have to wait until the dollar/euro rate improves.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dead on.

I have an HD350 I have used on several gigs, and some where I needed plenty of volume. No problem. Probably the most underrated head I've ever touched. Easily compares to most 500-600W heads in actual output. Very "scooped" native voice tho, which is why it's great for slap. However, it's got a really cool semi-parametric sort of a hybrid* mid control so you can get all the other phat sounds out of it as well. (* If you cut all the way, it also reshapes the curve to a notch, which can be SUPER useful in dialing out "honk" in some venues.)

Forgot one thing. That AWESOME compressor is built-in to this lightweight jewel. The ONLY thing this head is missing is a mute button.

11. No doubt about the fact that EBS has good tone - thats why you pay...
    I probably would have bought the ebs if it wasn't a price issue...

12. Eddard

Eddard

Oct 28, 2005
    Spain
    I have played with all the EBS´heads and almost all EBS´cabs and I can say that are great. Problably too much expensive if you live in the USA but in Europe they are the best option for a profesional bass sound, IMO. And I love their fx pedals too :D

13. For a small-to-medium venue I often use my bluestripe Fafner to drive a pair of Acme B2 cabs. That is a real testimonial to the power of this small and relatively light amp. It runs the 2ohm load all night long without breaking a sweat and I've got ~60 gigs on it so far. Like the other models, the Fafner also has a "Drive" control, and it responds very well to a tube change (Jan/Philips in there currently). Great little amp which was purchased used for a reasonable sum.

14. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Unfortunatly (for US customers) EBS and other great European brands (Glockenklang, Tech soundsystems, Hevos...) are quite expensive in US due to euro/dollar change rate.Since a great majority of that forum members are American, those brands are not so often talked about here.

At the contrary, most of the high end brands or gear which are talked about here are not available or too expensive in Europe :
    in Germany, I have been asked 1290 € for an Epifani UL310 (about 1500 $)

and even worse, 1690 € (near 2000 $) for a EA NL210 cab, 2000 dollars fo a 2x10" cab !
    :scowl:

I guess I'll have to learn to live without Epifani, Accugroove, EA, Aguilar...
    and americans will have to do the same for Glockenklang, EBS, Tech sound...
    ;)
    :D

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I got my EBS HD350 in mint/new condition for $600. :)

16. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Aguilar 750: 3400$, EBS TD650:2000$ in Norway. Thats why I bought the EBS...

17. Eddard

Eddard

Oct 28, 2005
    Spain
    In Spain:

EBS TD650: 1725€ (2019$)

Aguilar DB750: 2400€ (2800$)

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I should have tried out more stuff but it was just before closing time and I was mostly interested in checking on something for a TB member and looking at portable rigs.

So I compared an EBS Neo112 and an Epifani 110UL powered by an Acoustic Image Clarus SL.

I must say both cabs performed damn well, but the EBS won out hand over fist!

Just barely heavier and larger than the Epifani, it just barely showed any signs of farting out with both the pre and master set at about noon, whereas the Epifani became unusable when played hard at those settings.

While the Epifani would be an excellent choice for someone who had to have the absolute lightest, smallest cabinet, the price and sound comparison went to the EBS.

(I know it's not fair comparing a 110 and 112, but these were the two lightest cabs they had. There was also a Bag End 110, and although it won for smallest cab, it weighed as much as both the others combined!)

Prices for the three items tried out and the untried EBS HD350:
    Acoustic Image Clarus - ¥197,400
    EBS HD350 - ¥157,500
    EBS Neo112 - ¥105,000
    Epifani 110UL - ¥112,000? (I didn't take a picture with the price tag but I think this is right)

Anyway my second experience with EBS left me with the same impression as the first; great stuff! :D

19. jorge84

jorge84

Aug 25, 2005
    czech rep.
    I´ve bought an EBS-1 preamp for 330€. It is 12years old, but in great condition

20. I know your mentioned this... but a 110 vs. a 112? Not even in the same universe... totally apples to oranges