Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 20, 2002.

1. What do you guys think of EBS amps and cabs? How do they compare to SWR and Eden?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've played through a Fafner, and I'd say it's about on par with Eden, slightly better than SWR. You know I LOVE Eden, but if I had a Fafner, I probably wouldn't jones for Eden.

3. that definately says a lot about EBS if you like em Munji.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I used an EBS-1 preamp for awhile. I liked it but I thought that it colored the tone of the bass a bit too much for my tastes. If you are using a less expensive bass with passive electronics I think it would be great. It can make just about any bass sound good. I use an SWR SM400 and I have grown used to getting the tone I want out of it. I would say that the EBS has the same level of quality as the SWR it just sounded different, I can't comment on Eden because I hav'nt used one enough to give an educated opinion.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've owned my Fafner for close to 2 years. I play it through an EBS 4x10. It is, IMO, among the finest amps out on the market!

I completely disagree that SWR is on par with EBS. My opinion, but I haven't found SWR to cut through or to have the same versatility as my Fafner. And, rather than coloring the sound, I think that EBS is actually LESS likely to color the sound of my basses than SWR.

It really gets my bass to sound the way I want. The eq is incredibly flexible, with more headroom than I could ever use. It's got a tube section that allows tube grit, but it's housed in a section all by itself. Rather than combine the tube with the preamp or poweramp, it's a totally solid state amp with a tube section. It's a very unique setup that way. Then, the cool thing is about this is that you can literally dial in the amount of tube warmth you want, from zero tube to total tube grind!

The Fafner (as well as other EBS products) have a phantom power capability, meaning if you make a small adjustment, you can literally power a pedal or your active bass through the power of your amp, and not ever use a battery again!

The Fafner and EBS cabinet are loud! I mean LOUD! Louder than any SWR that I've ever played! The Fafner's rated at 440 watts into 4 ohms and 620 watts into 2 ohms. The loudest SWR amp I've played was the SM-900, which was not nearly as loud! And, it got lost in the mix in a way that the Fafner didn't!

Bottom line is that if you were to A/B the two, you'll get to choose which you like better. I did, and the SWR, which was previously a favorite of mine, was less than impressive, in comparison.

My vote goes for EBS:D

7. Yeah, i mean i technically started this thread just to find out more on EBS, though who knows, i could change my mind and get EBS in the end, but tell me RAM, what kind of music do you play the majority of the time?

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Music? I play a variety. I tend a bit more towards rock, but even in rock I vary. For example, I've been known to play stuff along the John Mellencamp sound, the U2 sound, The Who, Rush, Jethro Tull, Yes, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc...

I also love Blues! I play that whenever I can.

The thing is, about EBS, is that it doesn't have a single sound! There's a section on the EBS website, if you go look up the online manual for the Fafner, that describes some different eq settings for some different tones. I could get my Spector to vary from Neil Diamond-like tones to Madonna tones to Rush to Stevie Ray Vaughn's bassist (I'm racking my brain to remember his name) to...whatever! It's just incredibly versatile...

Here's a link...

http://www.ebs.bass.se/2001/index_ebs.html

Look up the eq section suggested settings and you'll see that it's not just an amp for Marcus Miller!

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I'm sure RAM knows more about EBS amps than I do since I only used my preamp for a couple of months. I'm not sure the preamp section of the Fafner head is the same as the EBS-1 preamp so we may be talking apples and oranges. I will stick with my opinion about the preamp coloring the tone of my bass. In fact I could'nt tell what bass was what when I listened to them being played by a freind. The EBS-1 has alot of personality. I totally agree about the headroom issue, the EBS-1 when used as a preamp through my SM400 was much, much louder than the available volume through the SM400 by itself. The EBS-1 also gave me the most wicked slap tone I've ever had.

10. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I'm considering buying an EBS 410 @ 4 ohm. My only concern is that I use a 5 string playing rock. I use a 400w head and also go through a 600w PA, with full range cabs and share a powered sub bin with the drummer :D. I only want to run one cab on the backline. The EBS 410 has a stated low-end frequency of 70hz - is this low enough for a 5 with this gig? The Bass Cellar in London are quoting me £699 ($980).

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's certainly a good question!

I've considered that before, because on paper, my amp shouldn't reproduce the sounds I want when I drop-D, right? Wrong!

What you need to consider is two things: First of all, you need to play through it to see if it'll meet your needs. If it doesn't, EBS also makes a different cab with a 10 and a 15 in it. I think it'll go to lower frequencies.

The second thing, however, is sound physics. Your ear can hear down to about 20 hz and the low B string is about 30 hz. But, when you play a low B, what you're really hearing is not the 30 hz fundamental inasmuch as you're hearing the harmonic content of that note. Because the Fafner has a good hi-fi sound, it reproduces those harmonics quite well, and you'll hear that low B just fine.

I'm not saying that you won't wish you could get more lows out of it, because that's entirely subjective. But, you WILL hear that low B just as well as any other note on any other string.

It's a great sounding cabinet and you won't be disappointed! But, test drive if at all possible...;)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Eden D210XLT's work great with a low B, heck my EA VL110's do, too. I've checked out the EBS cabs and I'd be surprised if it didn't handle it well, too. Then again, depends on how loud you'll actually be trying using it.

13. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Thanks for your help guys.

I'll be running it through an Ashdown ABM-400, probably at 300-350 watts. I've heard some good things about EBS gear and it appears to be significantly less expensive in the UK than Eden equipment. I'm going to try both out for sure, but if there's very little in it I'm going to save myself £200-£300 and go for the EBS.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If EBS was less than Eden here... I'd have some EBS gear.

Oh well, can't have everything.

15. Does anyone know how much the Fafner goes for here in the US?

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Uh, RAM, I didn't say that EBS is on par with SWR. I said EBS is slightly better.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh...you're right. Obviously!

Sorry, Mr. Munji;)

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think the retail is something like $1,900 or so. It's expensive. Also, EBS doesn't cut dealers as much slack as some manufacturers, so I think if you find one for $1,300, you're probably right about where it should be priced.

There's a dealer in NY who used to be the US distributor for EBS and carries a lot of their stuff, a guy named Rawn Randall. He runs r2musical. They have a web page by the same name. I got mine through him as a demo (Victor Bailey is reported to have used mine for a 3 hour concert, and that's it). I paid quite a bit less than $1,300.

I've also seen used Fafners for around $700 or $800...

Hope that helps:D

19. Well 1300 doesn't seem that bad considering that's the price i would pay for a WT-800 so the price is basically the same.

So let me propose a question to you all. Which would you rather have, an Eden WT-800 or EBS Fafner? Which is more versatile? It won't be for awhile till i choose to get either one of them because i i want to get two cabs with my purchase, so in the case of the Eden i would get two D-410XLT cabs and in the case of EBS, a 4x10 and the larger 1x18 by EBS.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played Edens and think they're great. But, I wouldn't change my mind on my EBS purchase. No way!;)