Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS and Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Anybody out ther play an EBS head through an Ampeg cabinet? I have an Ampeg 4x10 and I'm looking into purchasing an EBS TD650, I was just curious what kind of sound this combination might create.

2. more importantly, do you think the Ampeg can handle the EBS? The wattage is no problem, but I heard you can only use EBS cabs because only they can handle the hi-fi EBS sound. Thanks in advance everybody. :)

3. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure an Ampeg cab can "handle" it in terms of not damaging anything, but it might not be an optimal sound experience (which is probably what you mean). I played an EBS 350 thru a Bergantino cab a month or so back and was knocked out by hi-fi sound -- very Marcus Miller. I expect that Bergantino cab is probably more "hi-fi" sounding than a classic-style Ampeg cab, but I bet the Pro series Ampeg cabs might work very well. There's only one way to know for sure....

D7

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've heard people say that Ampeg heads and cabinets works best together, but if the EBS/Ampeg combination works sound-wise for you...

A local rental in Stockholm does the opposite - their main rental live rig is EBS 1x15 plus EBS 4x10 driven by an Ampeg SVT-2PRO. So they are mixing and matching with great result.

5. Thanks a bunch guys:D