EBS as single cab: 212, 311 or 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucfor, Apr 5, 2003.

1. EBS 410

20 vote(s)
  2. EBS 311

6 vote(s)
  3. EBS 212

13 vote(s)
  1. Hi everybody,

I am, hopefully, almost at the end of my long journey that should end with the purchase of a cab that will make me sleep peacefully.

It's going to be a single cab, with a defined sound but good bottom end too, enough for a 5 string bass.

It's very likely to be an EBS. For what I can get here in Europe, to me seems the best option.
    I tried the 410 cab and was really good, but then I read very good comments on the 212 (2x12 + tweeter) and the 311 (1x10 + 1x15 + tweeter) and I am starting wondering which of the three I should go for. I could get them for a very similar price, so that's not an issue.

What do you think?? Any experience with these cabs?

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's gonna depend entirely on which you prefer. They're all going to do the job. I use the 4x10 and find it's perfect. But, other people may prefer something that's a little more "scooped" sounding.
  3. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I own an EBS 4x10.Great cab!The best(with swr boliath3)for slap.A little bit hard for fingerstyle,but still very clean,focussed,hi-fi.
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I own an EBS 2x12 and love it. It's the only cab I own and use. I much prefer 12's over 10's. I've never owned a 4x10 cab that produced enough low end for my tastes. The 311 looks really nice too. I've never played one but would like to and wouldn't mind owning one.
  5. bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    I own the EBS 410 and Hd350. I play mainly fingerstyle with a 5-String and love the sound. The best is, if you play with the band it sounds even better. This is why I like EBS so much.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Every 410 i've played has more low end than the comparable 212 from the same brand - now before i get shot, let me explain what i'm talking about. Low end as i'm meaning it means clean low low tones - 212's have inherant warmth and all notes sound thicker - but if you A/B them you'll hear the lower tones coming from the 410. That said I personally perfer 12's for most gigs, but a 410 for higher volume gigs. I find 12's get a touch indestinct for a rock band...
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I totallt agree.
    Ive got an SWR 2x12" but would definately get the EBS 410 if I could aford it. That cab is superb. It was way better than the SWR Goliath 410 I A/B:ed it with.
    The EBS 212 sounds not as agressive as their 410.
  8. What about the 311? Is there anyone who has it and can give a feedback?
    Do you think it could be the right compromise between the 4x10 and 2x10?

9. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I had a 311 for a while. I thought it was a nice cab until I did a side-by-side, during a gig, with an Epifani 212. The 311 seemed very "scooped" by comparison, and didn't cut through the mix as well as the Epi. Given that all other variables were the same, I kept the Epi and sold the 311. I thought the Epi had the same low end, but a richer and more detailed mid.

I'm not knocking the 311, though. It's a world-class cab, just depends on what you want to hear.

My 311 might have been an older one, it had only a speakon input. No problem, as long as you have an adapter (if you need one), but something to consider.

Sorry I haven't been able to compare the 311 to other EBS cabs, but if the opportunity arose I wouldn't hesitate.
  10. I'm going ebs too, I ordered my ebs TD650 new for $1700.

most likely I will buy a 410 and a 15" from ebs with it. But would the 212 and a 210 be a good combination??
    Cause I think a 410 and a 15" will be too big too fit in my car.
  11. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    why not get the 210 + 115 now, then if you really need more then you can always get the 410?
  12. hey vanselus,

Yeah good point, but has the 210 the same clarity and punch as the 410??

I wanna buy 2 cabs "cause I'm not shure the 410 can handle my B properly.
  13. oh,

and does the ebs td650 function on a 8 ohm cab??
    I know the load impedance from the Fafner is 2-8 ohms.

14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    IMHO it depends on what you mean by "properly". Personally I like the way the low B speaks through a 410 alone better than a 115 alone, but of course it's always better to have both. I think all this latest craze about the "fundamental" to be a little excessive. Your low B will speak just fine in a well designed 210. Not as much impact, but you can't get that without surface area.

as for clarity and punch, the 210 will be similar, but without the depth. it's again just a matter of surface area. If I had to go with a standalone, i'd go with a 410, but a 210 + 115 will be a contender too, but probably not as clear and punchy, if that's your thing (its not really mine).

do you have the ability to test a 410? you might be surprised at how much bass you get from the area. they say 4 10" have the same surface area as 1 15" - so they cover about the same frequency range - but you're definitely going to notice a tonal difference, and the 10's speak much more quickly.

more confused yet? that's a sign that you're almost there!
  15. lol try my crate 410 and youll be proved wrong in your statement
  16. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    for your sake, i'll just assume you're joking :D

would that be the same crate you're selling?
  17. yeah it is, i really shouldn't be making fun of it and trying to sell it on the same board lol!
  18. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    lots of people swear by the 410 (and I quite like it as well) , but EBS 15"s are really awesome. Never tried the 311 though, only the 15" and 15" + tweeter
  19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    A 1x15 has a lot less area than a 4x10. Somebody has a spreadsheet, I'm sure, with the different configurations and how much speaker area they have. A good 15 will speak just as quickly as a 10, but the 15 appears slower because it has less high-mid attack than a 10, in general.
  20. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    I have changed my ampeg asvt8*10 for an EBS 4*10.
    All i can say is : THE TONE IS TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my svt3pro seems another amp!!!