Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebs Bass IQ or Q-Tron ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lewibassist, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Im looking for a good envelope filter. And i have read loads of reviews and i have come down to these two. Which one would you go for and why ?. other suggestions are welcome :)

2. They have different sounds...but for convenience sake, I'd say go with the IQ. It fits on a pedal board really well, is 9 volt (the Q-tron is 12 or 24, I think) so you can daisy-chain with one adaptor, and is less prone to volume spikes or tone-suckage when engaged.

That's just my opinion...I own a Q-tron that I don't use, and have only tested an IQ once.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd go for the IQ every time. I think theyre the simplest envelope filter out there with the best sounds, by far.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The EBS added a lot of BASS(color) to my rig. If it had a tone knob I would have kept it. Haven't tried the other.

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I can only speak for the BassIQ, but hopefully it helps you out a bit.

The BassIQ is a dry envelope filter, and very usefull when recording. If you want an agressive sound, combine it with other FX. An overdrive and an octave (sub) gives really bite to it. I doubt that it's easy with other, more 'wet' FX. Haven't tried that though.

6. Thanks for the replies. Im looking for ease of use and sound mostly. can the bass IQ and the Q tron run of battery, I want to avoid having to plug into the mains. Im not very experienced with effects this will be my first peddle. Hope this makes sence .

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    a Cheaper option, but one that is equally cool would be to spend 99 and get the duncan cry baby bass wah. I have found I can get a lot more usage out of it then with my q-tron, which is large, does not take a battery, and is finicky and inconsistent when I step on it. I find myself using the wah pedal a lot more, as I am manually getting the same type sounds. Using my toes in a quick, downward motion, I can get the q-tron "drive down" effect quite easily. If I had to make a choice between the EBS and EH, I would go with the EBS. But they are expensive, and not really all that useable for most styles except funk and dance/electronica.

8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Sorry, I meant quick "upward" motion!!

9. I would get the EBS BassIQ. I think it sounds 10 times better than the Q-Tron. Because it's designed for bass I think that more responsive than any of the other envelope filters. It's also very easy to use, and a really good size too.

10. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    hi,I use Q tron and I think it is great,I havent tried the EBS bass IQ before,so I cant compare them.Sometimes with Q tron it might be hard to get the same sound you had before,so taking some notes would be very handy,you can get wide range of sounds,really cool,and it uses a 24v adaptor,quite big,but funky enough.good luck mate
    cheers

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like both, but I liked the Mini-Q Tron a little better than the regular Q Tron. It's a 9v pedal, not quite as big as the Q, and was simpler to dial in a sound. Of course the EBS is just as nice (if not nicer), but the Mini Q only cost me $90.