Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Bass IQ Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by goat1234, Dec 26, 2005.

1. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    I was intsalling a battery in my IQ when i noticed that one of the wires was not attached to the curcuit board! The other wire came off shortly after. So now The battery connector is detached from the effect, and it only works with an adaptor.

Has anything like this happened to anyone, and should i try to solder it myself, or pay for repair? I have a little bit of soldering experience, but would prefrer to refrain.

Thanks,

-JohnRyan

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It's a simple fix, but, unless you know exactly where to solder on the board, I'd get a pro to do it.

It was probably the product of a faulty solder job in the first place.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    If you're not sure of what you're doing, you could mess up the whole pedal, making it worth a dollar per kilogram. I had a project physics at high school, where I melted a specific thing due 'uncapabilities'... :S

4. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    how much do you think it would be to fix this?

Thanks.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If you take it down to your local sparky, he'll probably take pity on you and do it for love.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Depends on where you go, to be honest. If you have a good relationship with a local music store, they would probably do it for squat. It's just a matter of a few minutes' solder work.

7. Yah, it looks like a really easy fix. The solder pads are accessible without removing the circuit board, and even labled (+) and (-). If you have ever used a soldering iron at all, I'd say give it a shot yourself. Red wire to the (+), black wire to the (-). You'll have a great feeling of personal satisfaction, and confidence, if you can DIY.

~ Charlie