Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Bass IQ problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass4820, Feb 11, 2005.

1. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    I bought what looks like a brand new bass IQ from a pawn shop for $50, anyway buy it, take it home, plug it in(using a new 9volt) and bypass works great, but when i step on it, all i here is a low level distortion.
    When i crank up my amp enough, i can hear the effect working within the distortion, but i can't get rid of it. also i have to hit the strings hard for it to push through to put out sound, with the threshold control up.

Has anyone had these problems, or know of a way to fix it???

Is my pedal fryed??? :crying:

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Sounds like there could well be a problem with the bias voltages inside the pedal ... you need to take it to a repair guy/gal. BTW, these pedals use surface-mount parts (the really small 'flecks of dust' parts) so it's best to make sure the repair person can handle this.

I may be able to get my hands on a schematic for this unit if that would help (EBS are quite strict about not letting these get 'out-and-about')....

Mike

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You paid $50! Someone can fix it and you'd still make out on top. I had a Morley like that once all I did was take off the plate and clean it out real good and it worked like a charm. Don't use CANNED AIR! It's to strong and it can damage stuff in there.

4. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Canned air is fine, as long as you are careful - don't spray from too close to the circuit board / parts and don't use sustained bursts; both can lead to rapid decreases in temperature that may damage components or cause PCB track fractures.

Mike

5. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    yes, a schematic would be alot of help.
    i'm hoping to not spend alot more on the pedal(since i would like to keep it a steal) but i will do what i can to fix it.

do you know how much it would be to fix the bias voltages? i took it apart and everthing looks normal, clean as a whistle.

Its amazing that a little circut board in a metal case sells for $250!!! i don't use effects that much, but i know this is a respected pedal :hyper:

p.s. i talked to broklyn gear, and they said it was a bad pedal and if i sent it in to them with $150, they would get it going :eyebrow: they didn't seem very nice at all, i guess it's those newyorkers :rollno:

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    They'll send you a new pedal and send that one in as defect and get there warranty for it. I've talked to them also on different matters and the answers were yes and no answers, no conversation. Customer service is no longer a big deal I guess. I personally didn't like that pedal, it added a lot of bottom end.

7. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    To be fair to the store, they don't know how much effort or time is involved with fixing it, and it's a PITA working on surface-mount stuff. Still, for US$150, I reckon you might be able to buy another one second-hand.

My guess about the bias voltages was just that - a guess based on the info you provided. It could be a bunch of different things. Unless you want to start learning some DIY skills or know someone that is capable of helping you out, you're gonna need to sink some $$$ into it, or resell on ebay as-is. I may be able to help out with the schematic if you find a repair place.

Mike

8. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    :eyebrow: Sneaky.

Mike

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I am opening a store and am learning all kinds of new tricks.

10. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    well i have a friend that fixes them, but hes in iowa and i'm in texas so i would have to ship it to him, since i wouldn't be able to repair it. and he'll do it for free. that the best deal for me :smug:

11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    What are you waiting for? You scored.