Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebs bass iq vs. emma discumbobulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sako, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I've read a little bit about these two pedals in the archives. Can the folks here that have compared them give me their two cents? I have an IQ on the way, and there is an Emma on ebay, but don't know...

I have a Q-tron+ now, and had a DOD FX25B. I like the sounds out of the Q, but dislike all the tweaking. Also it's huge. I liked the simplicity of the DOD, but thought it wasn't too versatile and didn't like the volume drop.

Thoughts?

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I had a IQ for a while, did'nt care much for it. I did'nt really find any sounds that I thought useful to me.

I have the Emma now, and while I rarely use a filter, the Emma seems to have a couple sounds that please me. It sounds very "organic", which I like.

However, I did'nt own both at the same time, so no A/B opinion here, just a....."I kinda like the Emma" statement.

Not real helpful, I know.

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I'm with you on the qtron thing...

other bad thing is the reliability... (mines broken, didn't drop it either, just babied it) and the volume boost even with the boost off, its still anoying....

i'll be interested to see what people think in this one. some people say that the emma preserves low end and others think it doesn't...

i'd also be interested to see if people use active/passive basses and how that goes with either

chhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeers!

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've owned the BassiQ, the mini Qtron, the FX25b, the Guyatone... and a few others like a vintage Mutron III and I still dig the EMMA more than any of them. The controls are easy to dial in and it responds to my playing in a way that I find to be "natural". Of course that is after I've done a little dial in. FWIW, I use an active Zon Sonus and a passive Read J and don't find myself adjusting between them. I don't find it to be a tone sucker but filter pedals change the cutoff so they are filtering out bass during part of the cycle at least. If you want to "preserve low end" then you have to run it in some kind of blend circuit, and this goes for any filter, not just the EMMA.

The trick with any filter pedal is getting the sensitivity set so that the filter opens when you want it to. High sensitivity will cause the filter to open at low signal levels, so when you play normally it is basically open and closing as the note decays. Lower sensitivity will let you get a normal sound until you play harder, so for instance you can get very little filter when playing fingerstyle, and then the filter is working when you slap.

5. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i try to buy pedals that sound good for both bass AND guitar, even if some are designed for one or the other (like the digitech bass synth wah, which i find just as useful on guitar.) ive heard that the emma performs equally well on both instruments. can the same be said of the bassiq, or does it only work well with bass?

6. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    that i don't know, but i would not be using it with a guitar.

the q-tron is well suited for both. for a knob tweaker, the q-tron+ is a paradise. i just don't like to tweak that much (love the sounds though!).

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hello,

anymore thoughts??? :)

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm pretty certain Emma must have updated the circuit in last year or two.
    Mad Subwoofer, our missing TB filter expert tried one and found it cut low end. I tried one about two years back and found it cut low end.
    So, that's why I think there might have been a circuit upgrade since recent people have been insisting it doesn't lose low end.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I read somewhere that they stopped making them for a short time. The units made before their break are said to be inferior to the new ones. I think they must have altered the circuitry somehow. I own a newer one and there is no loss of volume or low end. This is the best filter I have ever played, hands down.

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

The Emma discomBOBulator got a great write up in Bass Player magazine a few months ago. I just got a Deep Impact and I'm even thinking about adding a dicomBOBulator to my newly foming pedal board.

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    cool.

this seems be the case, me thinks i will order one of these. thanks

12. Losi Boy

Losi Boy

Jul 21, 2005
    what about the MXR M-188 how does it compare to the
    Emma discomBOBulato or any filter.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're looking for alternatives, the Jacques Trinity works equally well on bass and guitar.

14. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I think the MXR is way cool. I used to own an IQ and sold it because I just couldn't make it sound the way I wanted. I found a cool sound on the MXR that my previous envelope's/Wah's didn't have, so I'm sold on the MXR.

15. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Bump for the Auto Q. ;)

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    tried the mxr the other day.

sounds rad, flexible and smooth but you can't have the filter go down, just like the moogerfooger.... :crying:

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I liked the simplicity of both the EBS and the Emma, but IMO both of them sounded weak. The EBS was clean, so I would recommend it for a smooth-jazz bassist looking to add just a small amount of funk. The Emma, I'm sorry, I don't know why it got all those positive reviews. It was weak, synthetic sounding (not in a good way), and not very responsive to articulation. I see you guys saying there was a design change recently and the Emma may have improved, but there were glowing HCentral reviews even back a year or so ago, and those reviews were not worth anything IMO. Plus the footswitch felt totally flimsy. Try an Ibanez AF9, especially if you can find an old one. I love the old Ibanez pedals, they are ballsy and responsive.