Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Bass IQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Jul 23, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Anyone have the EBS Bass IQ envelope filter? None of my local stores have them, but they have gotted very good reviews from BP and some on-line sites. I am considering getting one, but I was curious as to how it would compare to something like the Bassballs. I have played through a Boss AW-3 and it sucks the life out of bass. I am looking for something to definately make it funky, but I am not really looking for something as complicated at the MuTron or QTron. I already have the white dunlop bass crybaby (105Q), but there are some times when I don't want my foot on the the pedal. Does the Bass IQ have true bypass? Let me know your feelings and opinions

-KB

2. The BassIQ is the coolest envelope type effect I've tried out. It had a pretty wide range of sounds (all of them good!) and was very responsive. I liked just having 2 knobs and a switch. Seemed really well built.

The pedal didn't seem to generate any noise. I'm not sure if it has true bypass, but to my ears there was no difference in the unaffected sound with the pedal in the signal chain.

If I was playing the sort of music where I could get some use out of an envelope effect, I'd buy the BassIQ in a second. I might just buy one anyways someday.. just to mess around with.

EBS has some great sound samples at http://www.ebs.bass.se/2001/iq.htm , check them out!

3. The Mutron III is a whole lot less complicated than quite a few others out there....It has a more even response and is very responsive to your bass playing. I've tried so many and keep coming back to my Mutron. There is a goddawful amount of lousy filters out there.....I think the EBS could be a good choice but have heard more than a few times that it is too "safe" and clinical sounding. Not enough "grease."

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Well I bought a BassIQ and let me just tell you that I love it. It is completely quiet and doesn't color the sound at all when it is not activated. All 3 switch settings on it are useful, but the "up" setting is my favorite because it seems to be the funkiest while maintaining the "bass" characteristics. The Hi setting is really cool for fast playing, but it drops the bass response and the doown setting is cool for slow space drops. I bought it from MF since they were having a sale on it. It is very sturdiely built and very easy to operate (part of what kept me away from Mu-Tron, Q-tron, and Moogerfooger (well moogerfooer is waaayyyy too expensive) was all of their knobs).
    The Bass IQ is simple and to the point and responds very well to various styles of playing (however it sounds the best with "tap" playing).

-KB

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I can't compare it to the bass balls etc as I don't have them, but its a great pedal for a funky sound !

The Bass-Iq isn't really an envelope filter, its an autowah. It affects the eq settings of the sound by either cutting or boosting the top end depending on if you have it in the up, middle or down setting and how hard you play

IMHO worth the money, but probably best to try before you buy.