Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Bass Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beammeup, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hello everyone,

I'm in the progress of buying a new setup.

I have my eyes on an EBS Fafner Amp and 6x10" Cab.
    It will be used to play some damn fine Rock N' Roll :D

What are your thoughts about my selection ?

I hope to hear from some EBS users and everybody else that has an opinion.

Kind Regards
    Henrik

Denmark

2. Henrik, welcome to the EBS club! Recently I bought a Fafner TD600 and an EBS410.
    The sound of this combination is realy excellent!

I had to get used to the drive section (tube) of the AMP. (see threads here in TB) I had some doubts if the amp is able to give its full power when not using (set to zero) this drive. Still have my questions about that but it isnt a big issue anymore. And with a 2ohm setup Power isn't an issue at all with this amp.

This AMP is so clear, hifi, punch, bright, heavy that I recommend you to try this amp.

PRO'S
    • The incredible EBS sound!
    • Great EQ. Many many possible sound settings.
    • Tube preamp.
    • True 500 Watt at 2ohm (RMS)
    • Great design.
    • Very nice built.
    • Speakon connectors !!! (love them)
    • Ballanced out.
    • Great service from EBS and dealer!!!
    CON's
    • Three units high
    • No LED when (not) standby.
    • No LED's when the preshape filters are used.
    • Quite expensive.
    REMARK
    • You need a speakon cable
    • Check the use of the drive
    • The bypass switch is (probably) only usefull when connecting an external preamp. When in bypass the amp will not give its full power.

Good luck!

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Dear Maarten,

I've just been at my "Amp dealer", and tried The Fafner and 6x10".

I was absoloutely incredible!!!!!!!!!

I have never heard a setup sound so great out of the box.

Yes it is very expensive, but god.... it sound awsome :bassist:

I've arranged a meeting with the amp and cab tomorrow, at the rehersal room.

This looks like a very good partnership.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Kind Regards
    Henrik

Denmark

www.badboysofboogie.dk:bassist: :meh:

4. Great! Please keep me posted!
    Here is my beauty:
    [​IMG]

5. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
  6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Fafner and EBS 4x10. I love it. What else could I say?:D

7. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    You cant go wrong with a fafner Rig,it pretty much covers everything.

Nice rig vdbroek81.

8. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Maarten,

Here's the pictures of my EBS monster :D
    There's some picture of my old setup and basses aswell.

I haven't heard any better-sounding Rig yet...

Kind Regards
    Henrik

9. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe MIA
    Ernie Ball MusicMann Sterling

10. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Hey man, you can t go wrong with EBS fafner head.It s a big rock head.
    And their cabs are perfect in my opinion.My 4*10 is a monster of power, and is really clean.My svt3pro cannot sound better with another cab!

11. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    EBS gear is fantastic.My HD350 kicks ass through my EBS4x10" and I'm glad I have it! Welcome to the family.:)

12. Another Fafner believer here, and although I use Acme cabinets, the Fafner has enough power to drive a pair of B2 cabs nicely. That's quite a feat actually.

Maarten's summary pretty much says it all, although there is one correction that I will point out... the Fafner goes "all the way down to 2 ohms load having more than 620 W output power". It's a conservative rating.

13. Henrik, congratulations and thanks for the pics! This rig realy looks great.

Personaly I still have some concerns about my Fafner regarding the output power. (on a single EBS410) With the eq set neutral (mid positions) and drive to zero the output is far from 350 Watt. But with the eq set and the drive at 5 it is much better.

Next week I am able to compare mine with a HD350 so it could be my expectations (which I think it is) or something is wrong with it.
    Please let me know your experiences and maybe you can do the test.

P.S. Oddio, 500 Watt RMS (continous power) is what the manual and the back of my amp says and what the internal powersupply can handle. Ok it also says 620 Watt dynamic so that will give somewhat more headroom and I agree...it sounds even better.

14. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi vdbroek81,

I'll do the test ASAP, as it seems like an interesting syntesis/question.

I'll let you know about the result.

15. Maarten,

I had my Fafner measured at the National Research Council's labs and anechoic chamber here in Ottawa last year... mostly for curiosity and because I don't put much faith in manuals or published specs. According to the tests this particular Fafner (looks stock to me) pushes over 600 watts RMS into 2-ohms, 20-20k +/-3db, 0.05 THD. Those are more like "audiophile" amp measurements which is why I mention the "conservative" rating.

I'm curious as to why you say that 500 watts is "what the internal power supply can handle"?

Edit: Not to lose sight of the main thread - BEAUTIFUL rig Henrik!

16. Oddio, first of all let me state that I love the Fafner Rig! And as I am running 4ohm only, in my case it would give 350Watt at most.

My statement about the power was based on some measurements/calculations myself.
    The built transformer is 2x42VAC 6A or 500VA (labled like this) Active cooled so maybe it can supply about 15% more. But the efficiency of the AMP also will not be 100%. 80% is more likely. So you can conclude that the absolute continous maximum would be 500W (and that is also what the manual says! those people at EBS understand what they are doing)
    But again, I am talking about continous power here.

Anyway indeed a bit out of subject....

cheers!

17. Now that's something that we can both ABSOLUTELY agree on!

18. ....

Congrats on your New Purchase...

i have had a fafner head and EBS 4x10 for about two months now...and it still makes me melt everytime i hear it...specially with my GB..

i was toying with the idea of getting an EBS 6x10 but what really put me off in the end was the fact it was a 3ohm cab so0o i couldnt never use any extension cabs with it...

I got a 4x10 and i am looking into getting another EBS Cab..

Perfect sound ive found..!!!

Comp - 4 o'clock
    Bright - 10 o'clock
    Bass - 4 o'clock (with bass switch on)
    Mid - 10 o'clokc
    Mid Freq - 10 o'clock
    Treb - 12 o'clock
    Drive - 9 o'clock

smooooth ...................hit the treb switch and instant fat slap sound to0o...

just remember with the fafner.....as with any amp..

set gain to about 9 o'clock and if u need more power use volume...if u need more.,.knock the volume right bk...put the gain up another notch and do the same again...:cool: