1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS BassIQ + 3Leaf Proton-Different Enough?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hopefully, not a typical filter thread.
    I've read plenty and listened to as many samples as I can on these two pedals, so here's the situation:
    I have an EBS BassIQ on the way, and I have room to *squeeze* one more filter onto that row on my board.
    I am looking for a bubbly, rather than quacky filter. I need it to be MXR/Boss size, and not over $150 used.
    I've already had the MXR BEF and Digitech BSW, so not only am I just plain GASsing for the Proton, but I'm hoping it would be different enough from the BassIQ that it is complimentary and not redundant.
    Wondering if there is anything else that I should be looking at in the size, tone, and price range I mentioned.
    Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.

S

2. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Have had both. Still have the Proton. Bass IQ is different sounding from the Proton. I had trouble dialing in quack on the IQ. Proton does quack very well and has familiar filter controls as a AF9 or Mutron. Both can do bubble sounds.

3. Bump.
    Digging the BassIQ and still curious about the Proton.
    Any other experience or opinions?

S

4. Bump for any more reviews or input.

S

5. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Did the DOD not do anything for you?

6. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I've thought about getting the proton myself. But between the Qballs and the DOD FX25b, I've got good quackiness. I put my new Tronographic Rusty Box before the Qballs and it brings it to life. I like the DOD on it's own just fine, although I'd like to hear the Rusty Box in front of it too.

7. It's not bad. Pretty good for the price, but volume level is subtle. Next to my BassIQ, the DOD just sounds quiet and the IQ way more aggressive.
    I can see why you're running a Rusty Box into yours. Cool pedal by the way, I just checked it on YouTube.
    I like that the Proton has some versatility.
    I'll probably flip the DOD.

S

8. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, now that I think about it, there may have been a volume drop in my DOD. I'm gonna keep mine for as cheap as it is and the great quack I get out of it.

I was gonna get the Proton before I got the Qballs, but thought the Qballs would be exactly what I was looking for.

Let us know how the Proton works out if you get it.

9. Will do.

10. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

So the addiction starts...

11. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Ah yes, I was recent victim myself. Trying to contain it at the moment....

12. JBTucci

JBTucci

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    I haven't had a chance to try the Proton yet - But - I miss the slow downward sweep on the BassIQ. While it's not the most 'wet' filter, others don't sound as good as the EBS for that sound.

13. Funkinthetrunk

IMO, the BassIQ has more liquidy characteristics than the Proton. But, the Proton is an MuIII "inspired" unit. But both units are "cut from the same cloth" when it comes to envelope filters.

Or...try building the Neutron from GGG. Pretty simple to do and fairly cheap, too. I built my for about $70 give or take. It actually sounds wonderful...especially when using the orig MuIII photo-optos.

14. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    I have also the BassIQ, and I'm thinking of adding a Proton or a WMD Superfatman. I've heard samples of both, and I slightly prefer the Superfatman, both for its basic funky sounds and greater versatility. Would you mind to compare the three of them?

15. Funkinthetrunk

Well, those are my samples on the WMD website, so I know this pedal well. It's a great unit, especially with 12 different ranges, up/down sweeps and LP/BP/HP modes. Along with blend and LFO. It's the most versatile unit among the 3 you've listed. But it's also expensive, too.

Superfatty can do pretty much everything the Proton can do, except the Proton sounds a little fatter to my ears.

The BassIQ sounds the fattest of the 3, IMO. But once again, they are the "same" type of envelope filter as far as sound characteristics...you know, the MuIII family.

Can't go wrong with any of them, they all sound great.

16. Can you post some pics and/or samples of that clone? :)

S

17. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Thanks for that info. And congratulations for your great playing and settings on the WMD pedal. They really sold me on it!

18. Funkinthetrunk

Working on it.

Thank you. I'm sure Bill "The Mad Scientist" Mathewson (WMD Devices) would appreciate you diggin' his product.