1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Billy Sheehan Deluxe Drive Pedal problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NYBassPlayer, May 12, 2018.

1. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    I recently purchased this pedal used and have noticed an issue that I am concerned about. With the drive and distortion level maxed I get a “squeal” from the pedal. The frequency of the squeal will change when sweeping the tone knob from low to high. The squeal will also occur when the distortion and drive level are set lower (3 o’clock) but the boost is engaged. I realize I will probably never use the pedal with such high settings but it bothers me that this is happening and I’m wondering if the pedal is just too “hot” or if mine is defective. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Is that the one with the replaceable op amp? Maybe the previous owner put something inappropriate in.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I get the same thing. Its a super hot pedal. You'll need a noise gate for the extreme settings. Dialling back the Level and/or Drive settings tames the sequel, but theres still a lot of hiss. A noise gate will clean it up.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    franvarin likes this.
  4. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    Can anybody confirm the chip that comes with the pedal.
    Mine is:

4580D
    JRC
    F056A

5. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    Thanks for your reply Corelli. It makes me feel better knowing it may be “normal”.
    I’d feel better knowing others are experiencing the same thing. None of the online reviews or demos mentioned this.
    The pedal sounds great otherwise but it’s odd that the pedal is basically unusable in it’s most extreme setting. Why bother...

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have the same chip. Another thing I do is have my compressor before the EBS pedal. That helped a lot with the sequel. You can also email Billy with any technical issues. He's pretty good at replying. billy@billysheehan.com

7. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    Well, I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks so much.
    I am glad to hear that you have the same chip and my issue is not being caused by the previous owner swapping my chip out.
    I’m dumbfounded (to say the least) to hear that if I email Billy Sheehan about the “EBS Signature Billy Sheehan Deluxe Drive pedal” he may actually respond.
    Has he actually responded to your emails?
    BTW, I am still surprised that the pedal has this undesirable side effect.
    I have a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive pedal that is so hot and shrill at its highest level
    that I find it unusable and yet it never squeals like the EBS.

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Billy's got to be one of the most hard working and accessible musician around, and he's super friendly. He's designed and endorses a lot of gear and backs it up himself. I'm pretty sure if you've got a specific question about the EBS pedal, he should reply.

9. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I can confirm that he does respond. I emailed him quite a while ago and did receive a very cordial reply.

10. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    Wow...Amazing!
    Thank you.
    I guess I will email Billy Sheehan. I’ll tell him you both said hi.

11. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Billy is genuinely a great guy.

getbent likes this.
  12. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    18195026_10154466623036630_8458582346689973491_n.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  13. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    Awesome picture. Who’s the guy holding the glass of wine?

14. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    As if you didn’t know. Like I said, Billy is a great guy. :)

15. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    Just got a reply email from the man himself.
    Class act.

getbent and tfer like this.
  16. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Awesome!

17. Billy's own rig will squeal played to the extreme. He uses noise gates to tame it.

18. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I just got a Suncoast B1p, and on a certain setting, a squeal is produced. Apparently it's called Motorboating or Oscillaton.

19. NYBassPlayer

NYBassPlayer

Dec 18, 2016
    So I've had this pedal for quite some time and I am finally happy with the sound I am getting. It took a lot of tweaking but I have found that the drive & tone can be really overwhelming and contrary to claims there is still low end loss even with the separate clean and drive levels. For a long time I simply could not get a good balance between the two. Now the good news... One of the best features of this pedal is the separate clean and dirty effects loops. By using a separate EQ foot pedal patched into the clean effects loop I am able to cut the highs and boost the lows of the clean signal only while leaving the drive channel completely unaffected and not muddied by the low-end EQ addition. The end result is high/mid-range distortion and super-lows which gives me a sound that I am pleased with. I realize I am not truly "bi-amping" because I am only using one amp, but I describe what I am doing as a "poor man's bi-amp/crossover." I am using the effect to split my signal separately into highs and lows independent of each other.
    If i isolate either channel, the distortion channel is way to shrill to use on it's own and likewise, the clean channel is way too bassy on it's own, but together it gives me a very pleasant blend.
    I hope this helps someone else who may be struggling to get a usable tone out of they pedal like I was.

20. Thanks for the up date. Bought this pedal about three weeks ago and have been playing with it and I really like it. I tried octabass in the clean loop and played with it, but I haven't tried EQ.

Edit: correction, mine is the Signature drive not the Deluxe one. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018