EBS Billy Sheehan Signature Drive or MXR Bass Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HalfManHalfBass, Aug 22, 2017.

1. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience of these two pedals?

I realise that Dark Glass is the 'go-to' choice here for those who want to add a bit of hair to their clean signal, but my budget won't stretch that far, unfortunately!

At the moment I like the Tech 21 VT Bass DI and blend in a trebly, high eq distortion to my beefier, dry signal (so that the distortion element just sits on top of my clean signal).

Therefore I am not really interested in using the distortion on its own of whether it has a particular bassy tone or bass loss when soloed.

Can anyone recommend either of these pedals or better still, have tried or owned both to detail their qualities?

Many thanks as always, fellow bassters!

2. I have the MXR Distortion, and while it is a good pedal, the clean blend leaves a lot to be desired. I just leave the blend off and use it for parts that call for all out distortion. It is a great pedal, but maybe not what you're looking for. The Darkglass B3K on the other hand... Like you say, it is pricy, but worth every single hard-earned penny, and it has the best blend on the market.

3. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I love my MXR M85, and love the clean blend. It allows me to have distortion without losing my fundamental bass signal.

I have a DG B7k too, and I don't blend in any clean signal hardly at all because it has a good bass response without it. Two different birds IMO.

FWIW, I have less problems with dirty power with my MXR. I had to rip both DG pedals off my board in my last gig and replace it with my Zoom MS-60B for dirt and effects (I didn't have my board with the MXR on it). I tried to use the ZNR in my Zoom CDR, and it did not help at all.

Different strokes for different folks.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  4. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    ttt.

5. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    buy a bunch of OD pedals online at GC.... try them out.... pick which one you personally like and return the rest :)..... there are pros and cons to each one, if they play well with each of your basses, passive / active pickups, amp, cabs etc.

Videos can put you in the ballpark or put you in a totally gray area once you try pedals out on your own. ie. I thought the DG VMT sounded sweet as all heck on videos.... brought it home and tried it, returned it the next day.

I tried the MXR and it was sent back with the others that didn't make the cut. It was an OK pedal, I just liked what the B3K did for my specific tone. It sounds totally different depending on which bass I use too.

I actually like the fifth gear Southampton v2. it has a lot of OD shaping ability and sounds really good in a live band mix. Got mine for around 100 shipped to me second hand in excellent condition. That's my opinion though and each pedal will have it's own character.

6. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I live in Europe but I guess I could buy both from Thomann and return the one I didn't like.

However, that means I would have to buy new and I've seen much more attractive prices for these pedals second hand on eBay...

7. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    don't forget the classified section on this site :). There's new stuff pretty much every day!!

8. buy both new, test them out, return both and pick up your favourite second hand!

9. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Now that's just being mean. Poor, super-rich companies (that have closed hundreds of 'ma and pa' local music shops) getting used like that.... :laugh::hyper: