Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Comp pedal or Aphex Punch Factory?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Trying to decide between the two and unfortunately have not found a store where I can A/B them. Your input is much appreciated. Which do you prefer? Thanks!

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It seems like there's lots of fans of both. I haven't actually tried either (yet), but based on the opinions here and the price, I have an Aphex on the way (an eBay score).

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I have an old-ish MultiComp and I'd merely call it "good", it's not like I couldn't live without it, as I don't use it much. It doesn't have too many settings to tweak the compression and likes to generate a bit of hiss if you boost the signal a bit. It doesn't seem to colour your sound at all, though, which is a plus, I guess. Also, the case feels a bit flimsy and it's so small you're almost afraid of stepping on it.
    Right now, it kind of sits in the closet, I don't really need it for rehearsals or live, and when we do recording, I use the preamp my guitarist bought for recording because it generates zero noise.

Personally, I feel EBS' effects are a bit overpriced for what they do, I used to own an Octabass which eventually got stolen and it really didn't track that well and sounded a bit off, I don't miss it one bit. My Digitech BSW beats it easily. But then again, perhaps EBS fixed those issues in their new pedals.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Okay, I just pulled the MultiComp out again because I may have to use it again, and figured out that there's an easy way to get rid of the noisiness, simply turn down the gain knob so low that there's little or no jump in volume to the volume with the pedal off.
    You may have to turn it all the way down. Et voila, no added noise. I still wonder what's the point in adding a gain knob to the pedal if it adds so much noise, though, it already has a switch for active and passive basses.

5. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    I managed to play both (Rudy's on 48th street in nyc) and ended up getting the EBS. Quiet, very articulate, nice warm sound...I'm a big fan.

I like Aphex stuff (have a 204, a bass exciter pedal and an acoustic exciter pedal) but my impression of the EBS Comp was it had much higher fidelity.

The flexibility to switch between three compression profiles is very cool.

rich

6. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    of those two i prefered the punch factory.there may have been something wrong with my ebs but i wasnt all that impressed.also for the money ,the punch factory is a really nice buy.i bought mine used for 75 bucks and have used it almost every gig since.i also have a demeter compulator that ive used in the studio a few times that i like also.

7. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

there ya go-mine may have had issues.

8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    The aphex sounded good...the ebs just worked better for my ears.

You mention the demeter compressor? I've heard they're very nice. Are they pricey?

9. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

i paid $150 used for mine.that seems to be close to the going used street price.
    i may have to try an ebs to see if i have better luck.wanna trade :)