Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Drome 12 fuzzy sound/wooliness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I just got an EBS Drome 12 (150w) and am noticing that at moderate volumes (say gain and volume at Noon) low notes (i.e bottom octave of range) are embued with a wooly/fuzzy sound that sounds distressingly like perhaps part of the speaker cone flapping. The problem is worse if I boost bass and cut treble on my active bass (new batteries). When I plug into my Kern/QSC/Bergantino rig, those low notes are clear as a bell. Not a fair comparison, I know, but should I expect fuzzy/wooly sound out of one 12" speaker, when I get a perfectly clear, piano like tone from six tens?

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I won't be much help here, suffice to say that I really don't like reading stories about EBS quality issues.

Is it new and under warranty?

3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well it sounds like speaker problem to me. I tried EBD Drome few times and I cranked the volume all the way up without problems. Your Drome should work the same.

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, I don't exactly know what you mean by "say gain and volume at Noon" but I expect both to be set at about 12.
    You have to trim the gain control like it says in the manual to match and optimize the input signal - from your bass - to the power amp section. When I play my Stingray (or my Dean Edge 4 btw) I often ends up with the gain control at 12 (or slightly over 12). If I then put the volume knop to 12 I can bearly be in the same room as my little Drome as it is so loud that it can shake my windows into pieces. I often ends up with the volume knob at a maximum of 10:30 at live gigs. So I can't say, in my opinion, that the volume at 12 and an optimized gain results in a moderate output volume.
    I'll guess that your problem may be part of a signal quality loss and would be solved by good instrument cables, full output of your bass and an optimized input gain at the Drome. If this isn't working, something may be broken or loose within your amp.
    Good luck!

/MrBaloo