Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Drome 1x12 vs. Ashdown ABM C1x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by halfnote, Mar 12, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Anybody have any experience with these two units? I would really like to hear from somebody who has been able to do an A/B comparison. I bet OYSTERMAN has tried em'!?!?

I really like the practicing capabilities of the EBS with all the inputs and such, (I like to practice at 3am, so the headphone jack and cd Line In would be great) but Steve Lawson really sings the praises of the Ashdown for live and recording situations and I need this area covered as well.

At the moment I play a MM Sterling with a 12 string acoustic player and a percussion player (sometimes a small kit). Occasionally, I play with a hippy jam band thang with a drummer with a bigger kit and a guitarist with a Twin Reverb.

I don't think anyone in Houston sells either of these amps or I would be there right now trying them out.

Appreciated as always,

1/2note

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Only the Drome, I'm afraid. I can't give any A/B-comparison, but I can tell you that the Drome is very good. :) Although it's mighty full and loud for it's low size and wattage... will it be loud enough? You must always ask yourself that question.

What would you use it for?

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Hey Oyster,

I edited my post to provide more info....

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've not tried the EBS Drome, but I have used other amps of theirs, and sonically, EBS and Ashdown are coming from different places - EBS amps are generally much 'cleaner' and more hifi, by nature. My Ashdown C110 gives me a really nice clean tone, and a fabulous tube tone, right up to a really dirty overdrive tone. You can custom order the C110 with a horn, if that's what you want, for more variety.

The EBS gear is really well made and has a great sound, but it's a different sound from the Ashdown. Which are you looking for?

good luck in your search for the perfect tone! :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So Steve, how does that Ashdown of yours work with 5-strings?
    Enough power to drive extra 15" cab for lows?

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    the 1x10 is great with a low B - I'm not sure that I'd use it on its own in a metal band, but for everything else that I do, I use the amp on its own.

when I did a tour with Howard Jones just over a year ago I used the 1x10 with a Trace 1x15 extension and it was plenty loud enough - that was with Howard's Hammond B3 through a cranked up Leslie cabinet just behind me!!!

When I did my solo tour in the states, I coupled it with an Ashdown 2x10, stacked vertically, and it sounded soooo sweet - I'm going to have to buy one of those now...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk