Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Drome Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexvs, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Alexvs

Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Hi!

Does anyone know how much I must pay to own a EBS Drome 12" OR 15"? I live in Sweden, so I count on you to know, Oysterman! =)

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    List prices:
    Drome 12 - 9975 kr
    Drome 15 - 13495 kr

EBS pricing policy is a bit tight, you can't talk those prices down by much... so I think they would sell for at best 9500 and 13000 respectively. At least this was the case in one particular store. But don't take my word for it, ask your dealer.

3. Hey Oyster!!! Do you own any of those?And if you do,how is their sound?I'm really curious.Nobody sells them in my area,in fact the closest dealer that I know of is Matthews and Ryan in New York City.I'd really like to try one out.BTW what does kr translate into American $$$?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Lots ;)

I've played them a few times (15's) and was impressed with the features (almost more than imaginable) and the sound, full and capable of several tones. The issue I had with it was, for the $$$ it doesn't project as well live as my B-100R combo. I think the cheapest I've seen one used was ~$600. The owner was selling it for the same reason I mentioned.

For small gigs where you don't have personal transportation though (think NYC) they're great.

5. Thanks Brad!!! If I ever buy one it would be used mostly for private practice.However the projection problem is something to consider,especially for the money you shell out.That's what I love about TB,somebody somewhere has much needed info to give some kind of guideline for checking out "new" gear.Although I'm not suggesting to skip personal try outs.
    (country accent) New York City!!!

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No, I do not own any of those, although I'd really like a Drome 12 (portability). I've played one of the 12's, and it sounded great; round, clean, tight, focused. And it's actually able to move more air than you'd imagine (high volume/size ratio ;)). They have some nifty features too, but personally, I wouldn't have much use for those... :)

I haven't tried them live, so Brad might be right about the sound projection thing.
    Since my currency waves up and down like a drunk seagull in high winds, I'm not 100% sure. Although it is somewhere around 10 cents. So $1 USD = approx. 10 SEK.
    For U.S. list prices, www.musicgearonline.com is a good source.

7. Thanks Oyster!!!I'm definitely in the market for something different.Most people in my area have Ampeg,SWR,Peavey,Fender,etc. I know for a fact that there may be no one in Va Beach who owns an EBS amp/cab.Who knows,I could be the first.Oh well.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    By all means check them out, they might work in situations different from mine. With a good pa system it could work well even on medium sized gigs, I just wanted more onstage sound, especially if I can't count on the sound person (no offense to sound people intended;)

I really, really wanted the Drome 15 to work for me, it had everything else. I just have a hard time justifying spending more on what would end up for me being the ultimate practice combo than my big gig setup.

9. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've never tried the EBS Drome amps, but most of what I read about them is quite positive; light weight, nice sound and lots of great features for practicing. I have the specs on the Drome 12 but not the Drome 15. Does anyone know how much larger and heavier the Drome 15 is? BTW, Club Bass in Toronto was selling them last spring for $760 US.

Jeff

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's a link to an EBS dealer. If Club Bass was selling them new for $760 they were probably blowing out the end of their inventory.

Again, it's a very nice combo for what it does. Most people would probably consider it pricey.

http://www.r2musical.com/amps/ebs_drome15.html

11. Hey Brad!!!and Oyster!! I guess I'll have to do a road trip and try out an EBS in person(as if there's any other way).I'll be accumulating vacation time so I think going to wherever would be a start.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Willie, if you're heading north you can have some fun in the vicinity of 1600 Broadway (Sadowsky, NY Guitar & Bass Boutique and R2 on the same floor of the same building) and 48 St (Rudy's, etc.) in NYC.

13. Holy cow I've been around Broadway...hmm...I might have passed by there and didn't know it.Cool,now I know where to go.

14. I recently bought a EBS Gorm ET350.
    I haven't played a lot of different combos but I loved this one the first time I played it. I think it has got a very powerful yet simplistic sound and quite a lot of nice features. The monitor feature is awesome. Perfect for jamming with records.
    On the ebs homepage you can find some reviews on the Gorm.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll give a positive vote for EBS overall and R2musical, too. I got my Fafner and cab from Rawn Randall (of R2 fame). He was great to deal with and gave, what I thought, were very fair prices. It was the lowest price I could find on a new/demo Fafner anywhere in the country...;)