1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS DynaVerb eating batteries...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    So I've had my DynaVerb for about 2 months and have used it on 3 gigs and a modest amount of time in the studio. I love it, but it's become a bear to keep 'fed' properly. In that time it's already gone through 2 9V batteries and makes a horrible racket when the batteries start dying... the sort of sound that a guitar amp makes when it's banged and the reverb coils start shaking. When it first happened I thought I had a blown speaker in my cab with all the racket and distortion. I have an EBS power supply on the way for it to hopefully remedy the situation, but I guess my question is whether or not it's normal for this pedal to eat batteries like this. I'm assuming that the batteries are engaged even if the pedal is not activated since they're dying so quickly. Anyone else have this experience? :help:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Are you leaving it plugged in? Most pedals turn on when a plug is inserted into the input jack.

3. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    You do remember to to unplug the input jack when not using pedal, right?

4. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    Most digital pedals do eat batteries very quickly. For example, the popular Digitech Bass Synth Wah does so. It's written in the technical specifications list that Dynaverb requires 80mA 9 V power supply. Most non-digital pedals (such as compressors, overdrives, analog choruses, etc.) require only 15-20 mA. As for me, I run my Dynaverb through MXR DC Brick power supply.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    True. My Line 6 Tonecore pedals will eat a battery in about 10 minutes. I don't know why they even bother to include the option.

6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Well, I don't have the option of unplugging it while on a gig, which I assume everyone else here knows. That said, I unplug it when it's not in use otherwise. It's not an always-on effect of course. I usually get 2 gigs or so out of a 9v battery, which amounts to perhaps 8 or 9 hours of use. The responses I've received confirmed my suspicion... it just eats 9V batteries quickly.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    So I got the EBS power supply and there is a definite drop in voltage compared to the battery. The LED on the front dims considerably when I go to the battery, and the noise and distortion starts. Looks like this is a pedal that indeed ALWAYS needs the power supply.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020