Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimS, Aug 9, 2000.

1. I've read good things about the EBS chorus and envelope filter? Anybody w/ experience?

2. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, they're really good. I have the EBS octaver and the envelope filter. The octaver is the best one available in my opinion, and the envelope filter has replaced my twice as expensive Mu-Tron III so go figure. The Mu-Tron is great too, but the EBS is a lot easier to use, which is great when playing live. And it's also a bass pedal so i doesn't have unnecessary features.

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Like...Tuomas said!
    jc

4. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie Clark endorses Sire guitars, EBS amps and pedals,Evidence Audio,iGiG cases,Sire Marcus Miller V& jazz basses
    In my humble opinion,EBS makes some of the best gear available! I'm not just saying that because I'm an artist with the company :) I actually purchased EBS gear BEFORE I landed the endorsement!

I would still suggest you try it out and trust your own ears because in the end,it's gotta be what YOU like,not what we like!

Peace,

Jackie

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So, when you got the endorsement you thought to yourself "I know, I'll go unearth a thread from eight years ago just to say how great EBS is! Maybe the guy who posted eight years ago is still wondering!"
    ;)

:p

6. I have the Envelope Filter, while its reliable and effective it's not very wet sounding, I can't coax maximum funkiness from mine at all (talking like Bootsy levels of evelope here) - I can't even get it as thick and wet sounding as Buckethead's bassist's tone.

Suggestions?

7. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU

try it with a compressor in front of it!

maybe it work for you... I like it more with the compressor BEFORE the effect. and there is a trimmer inside, but it's for adding DRY signal to the sound, so I dont know.. is it at full low setting?

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    This is the first, and likely only, time that the search function has UTTERLY FAILED HUMANITY.

I'm prepared to pretend that it never happened, so that the infallibility of the system in question remains sanctimonious.

9. This would require me to own a compressor.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i've played through the ebs octaver, compressor, chorus, and envelope filter. the first two are great. the other two are not to my liking.

11. Huh? The general consensus is that a comp before a filter make the filter less funky by evening out your dynamics...

12. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    it was my first thought too, but then I tried both ways, and the compressor helps controlling the filter better... It's more funky, I would say ;-)

the BassIQ is a great toy, I think :-D

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Some of us walk the fine line between "I like the brand because their stuff sounds great" and "I like the brand because I'm being paid to say that now" :D

Ah, the basic principle of Communism in practice. :D

On a side note... I really don't like the EBS Unichorus - for the price, it's sub-par chorus pedal, IMHO. The MultiComp rocks, though.

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I liked the EBS Filter. If you want wet, you have to use it in HiQ mode or whatever it is. But you will lose some bottom in that mode if I remember correctly.

The UniChorus sounded nice to me, but mine cut some bottom, actually. So I sold it. Geez even my Boss chorus holds the bottom.

15. Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie Clark endorses Sire guitars, EBS amps and pedals,Evidence Audio,iGiG cases,Sire Marcus Miller V& jazz basses
    HAHAHAHAHA! I didn't even notice when the thread was posted...I didn't join until 2004 myself!!! hahahaha!

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i had a octabass and unichorus. they were awesome pedals

17. Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    The envelope filter works best with a bass in passive mode.It doesn't respond the same with an active bass.I happened to stumble on that when my battery died and had to bypass the preamp.It gets really nasty,Bootsy-like with a passive instrument!

You can also try the compressor before the filter,that helps too.

If you have any more questions,hit up Mats Kristofferson at EBS Mats@bass.se He's the technical genius behind the EBS sound and he'll hook you up with any info! Tell him I sent you his way!

Peace,

Jackie

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey Jackie, when did EBS start paying you to use their products? :)

or did your gigs with Angie Stone, Shalamar, Howard Hewitt,Yolanda Adams,Walter Hawkins,The Clark Sisters, Shirley Caesar,Glenn Jones,Mya,Deborah Cox,Triple 6 Mafia,The Emotions,Candi Staton,Jerry Butler,Peabo Bryson,Deniece Williams,Billy Paul have anything to do with getting that endorsemnet? :)

And Jackie I'm loving my EBS octaver and the envelope filter

19. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've used all of the EBS pedals except for the Tremelo and Dynaverb and I can say they are excellent little boxes. They sound great and still allow the voice of your bass to shine through. My favorites were the MultiComp, Unichorus and the Bass IQ envelope filter. They are not true bypass buy they have a really good bypass that doesn't suck tone when they are disengaged. IMO they are the best bass specific effect pedals available (except for maybe the overdrives but even they are still pretty good). The MicroBass is sweet too!

20. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I remember a couple of months ago when you were singing the praises of the UniChorus. What happened?