Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Fafner head (2 ohms) into 2 4-10 cabs(8 ohm )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm currently thinking about purchasing an EBS Fafner head to go with my 2 4-10 mesa boogie cabs. My only question is since the head from what I'm to understand is usally used at 2 ohms but my cabs are 8 ohms I'm only wondering if this will blow them? Sorry been playing awhile but am a babe in the woods when it comes to "ohmage". Thanx for any help.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The Fafner can be run into 2, 4 and 8 Ohms of load. Connecting your two 8-Ohmers would give a load of 4 Ohms. You will be perfectly fine, no, you will be more than that! The Fafner is a fantastic product and the amp in my dreams!

What is the total wattage of your cabs? If it's under 600 W, you will not be safe "turning the knobs to eleven". But you will get a lot of volume... and a great tone! :D

You will love it, I'm sure of it! :)

3. No, you will not blow them, they will work perfectly. Two 8ohm cabinets will give you an impedance of 4ohms. This is the recommended working impedance for most all amps. It may say you can run down to 2ohms on the back panel, but this is not really recommended except in short term situations. The reason for this is that an amp has to work extraordinarily hard to put out the power at two ohms, which generates a LOT of heat, and heat is the enemy of electronic components. If you did run at 2ohms permanently, your amps lifespan would doubtless be severely shortened. BTW, you would need FOUR of those cabs to put a 2ohm load on your amp. I'm sure the EBS and your two 4x10 Mesas will handle any situation you're ever likely to come across. Cheers.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :D Thanx guys for the input, :rolleyes: whew. Now does anyone know where I can find one of these bad boys used and would you consider them better than my GK 1001? Thanx again guys.:p Oh yea the cabs together are 1200 watts.

[Edited by FiXeR on 01-03-2001 at 07:12 AM]

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm flattered!!! :D:D:D

The truth is that I do love the Fafner, too much to depart with it! I've decided to keep it! Sorry, guys:( If this helps, I'll tell you that I bought mine from Rawn Randall at http://www.r2musical.com. He was extremely patient with me and I'd give him my business again! If he still deals with EBS, he may have some demos in stock that he can cut you a deal on. Give him a shout!

And, to dispell any rumors, I don't have money issues. It's a question of overkill and choices. I live in a place where this amp cannot be used to its full potential: an apartment building somewhere in the depths of the Windy City. And, since I work full time and am in graduate school, I don't really have time to play in a band setting (believe me, THAT one hurts!!!!!!). So, rather than just sit and collect dust, I was considering to sell the amp to purchase something more useful. But, I've raised the money on my own, without selling the amp.

Anyway, thanks to all for your consideration! :D And, for all you Fafner lovers/owners, I'm happy to gush about my Fafner with anybody else out there who wants to! In fact, I think I'll even start a thread really soon!:D

Cheers!

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hi RAM! Sorry, I had no intention of starting evil rumours. Glad to see you're not in financial difficulties! :)

The only thing that sucks with EBS is their tight pricing policy. You can almost always expect to pay the full list price for the gear. I wouldn't mind 40% off of their prices, because they cost a lot! But it's worth it, oh baby...! :D

[Edited by Oysterman on 01-03-2001 at 08:41 AM]

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah thanx RAM and no hard feelings, but it looks like I'm doomed to save for one of my very own :rolleyes: *sigh*

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it may cost you more, but it's worth it!!!

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No big deal...I didn't think you were intentionally trying to start "evil rumors"...it's in the past.

Anyway, I agree with their tight pricing policy. I will admit I'm not as familiar with you regarding this as I could be, but given the nature of the industry, pricing and marketing are two areas that EBS leaves unanswered questions in my mind.

It seems that for an amp of this caliber, and in the class that it is, they are remarkably not well-known! In fact, a store in Chicago recently dropped the Fafner (but still carry EBS pedals) from its shelves. Apparently, they weren't selling. I don't believe that this is because of quality, because in my mind, the Fafner competes with everything in its price range. Why is this amp not so well known? It's been rated very favorably by Bass Player magazine! Most people who DO own one are EXTREMELY happy with them!

I think there are two issues here:
    1. The pricing policy, which, again, I take from your word. What would happen if they raised their retail price by $500 and increased the dealer margin by that same amount? Then, it would APPEAR that consumers are getting huge deals on the stuff, right?

2. Marketing. Why is the Fafner not known as well as, say, Aguilar, Eden, Ashdown, or Euphonic Audio? The quality is similar, the price points are not too disparate.

But, on the other hand, I happen to like being the only kid on the block with this amp. It's a kind of uniqueness that you don't find too often these days, in a world of mass production:)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    His name is "Rawn"?

12. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Talking with the guys at LA Bass Exchange, they quoted me 30% off list for the Fafner ($1260). They also mentioned that Mathews and Ryan planned larger shipments, therefore reducing the overhead of bringing the gear to the US.

My question with the Fafner is - how powerful is it compared to US make power amps?

13. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't know much about the power compared to the U.S. but bass NW quoted me $1330. and thats with the shipping. To me thats pretty high for them. From what I understand this amp could smoke american made amps with the same amount of watts compared in volume, why this is I don't know

[Edited by FiXeR on 01-04-2001 at 09:44 AM]

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's correct. I think it's pronounced like "Ron", but it is spelled like "lawn", but with an "R", making it "Rawn".:D

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I paid $995 for a demo. Complete with full warrantee.

This thing is plenty powerful. I used it with a drummer who thought he was Neil Peart (what drummer doesn't???:D), and his 9-piece with extra-deep toms. Well, I think I had this amp on 3 and was asked to turn it down by the guitarist (well...we all know about guitarists;))

This amp really does cut through:D!! It will, of course depend on your cabinet. I have the EBS 4x10, which works quite well for me.

The Fafner is rated at 410 watts into 8 ohms and 620 watts into 4 ohms. How much more power would you need? You'd have to multiply that by 10 in order to get a few extra db, and then you're talking about football field-sized stadiums!:eek:

16. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    "The Fafner is rated at 410 watts into 8 ohms and 620 watts into 4 ohms."

From the EBS web site info, the Fafner is rated at 440 W rms @ 4 ohms and 620 W rms @ 2 ohms. From what BassNW has said, the Fafner is equivalent to the Stewart 1.2 "in bridged mono". Since there is no EIA rating on the EBS equipment, it's hard to say (not that some manufactures play games in the US to over advertise the EIA power rating).

The EBS cabinets seem to be rated at a very high efficiency, which makes me wonder what "stick" EBS uses for measurement. I am still very impressed with the EBS gear and am trying to A/B the Fafner with other gear. It's just hard to find the gear side by side.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, maybe it is 440 Watts. But, I do not have the newest version of this amp. Plus the fact, when you're over 400 Watts, you cannot hear the difference of 30 watts.

At any rate, yes. The cabinet I have has a sensitivity rating of 111 db, which, to my knowledge, is about the highest on the market. I'm not sure if that translates into how wattage is measured, however.

I'll say this about EBS...I a/b'd only 2 amps: the EA and EBS. I've tried others so I wasn't concerned. The EA is wonderful, if you like that transparent, "reference" sound. EBS has a good clean tone, but has a little bit of grit in it. You can adjust that with the drive control, from very little to overpowering distortion. It's really a cool:cool: feature. My Spector sings through this thing!!!:D

18. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    Which 410 cab would you recomend to this head?
    I'm playing punk/stoner rock with pick and distortion.

Any particular cabs which fit this head well(not EBS cab)?

Was thinking about an heretige 410hlf, Trace Elliot 1048hh, GK 212 neo, Markbass 104f.

19. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Zombie thread alert!!! :help:

First, make sure you are getting a 4ohm cabinet if you are going to use it with the Fafner!

I personally use my Fafner with Eden D410XLT for alternative rock and hip-hop. Works well in both scenarios.

20. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    Yhym

The heretige 410hlf's are 4ohm as well.

Do you have any sound clips of your Eden cab maybe?