EBS Fafner or GK 1001-RB ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jorge84, Aug 27, 2005.

1. jorge84

Aug 25, 2005
    czech rep.
    I´m not satisfied with my amp (Ampeg B-2R -> SVT-410 HLF - the head doesn´t give enough power into the cab)... Just considering buying new head. I´ve tried EBS Fafner and GK 1001-RB. I thing both of them are nice ones.. GK has more power, but EBS seems to be a little more coloured. Do you have any experience with any of them? Or any other suggestions? Just tell me.
    P.S.: Excuse my English
  2. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Your english is perfect. As for the head, Ive only had experience with the 1001-rb, and I liked it a lot.
  3. Psycho-bass

Apr 8, 2005
    If you want some bad english i'm here :D

GK puts 460W (8ohm) and 700W (4ohm)
    Ebs puts 250W (8) 440W (4) and 600W (under 2ohm)

GK head are very efficient compared to ampeg (at the same wattage). The 1000RB II will be my next head!
    But in europe GK is 700€ cheaper than the fafner.

Markbass head are also vert nice (the little mark 2 puts 500W under 4 ohm for 550€ :cool: )
  4. jorge84

Aug 25, 2005
    czech rep.
    Well, here in central Europe I can buy GK 1001RB for about 800€ and Fafner for 1050€ (special price for me) which means 250€ difference.. having read through several discussions people generally evaluate EBS better than GK. I played one gig with GK 1001 + GK 2x10" and must say it was very good. Clear sound, I felt the power of bass.. Just worying if EBS can give me as much power as GK.
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK1001RB-11 owner here. Clear, powerful, uncolored, punchy. The Fafner (probably) sounds a bit more refined. The power difference would be an issue for me. GK won't hurt you as a bad choice even if you buy it sight unseen, it has too many plus points.
  6. i have a 1001rb-II and i love it. i can't say much about EBS as i have never played one.
  7. I second GetLow. I own the 1001RB-II, love it to death but I've never played through a EBS so I don't know
  8. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005

I've never tried GK but have played Fafner on a friend rig for a gig. EBS tone is to die for. Fafner is quite versatile too, it can be tuby or very clean and its 440 W are rather conservative cause it sounds very loud.
    If you can have it for 1050 €, it's a bargain.
    Shiveringbass, Bassist for Shivering